Is anyone using a regular tablet for navigation?

Discussion in 'HAMMER: Truck Optimized GPS App | Support Forum' started by snicrep, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Side pipes

Side pipes Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2022
    Ireland
    It’s a good deal to save you’re points even if you paid for 1/2 off a new GPS it’s a good deal often drivers are selling a GPS used you can get a good deal

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Wasting points on food and drinks will delay big purchases like a GPS for years. You are trading dollars for pennies, don't spend the "pennies" if you want to fill your piggy bank. You can afford $8 for food you are trying to save for a $500 purchase. IMO many people entering trucking come with low-income habits and those habits will keep your poor no matter how much money they ever make. There are companies with $100 million in revenue that go bankrupt. It's not the money you make, but the money you spend that determines if someone remains broke.

A truck GPS is a valuable tool for your job, spend the money if you need to. No carpenter builds a house with a rock as a hammer. You can sign up for a free 7 day trial with a paid version of Trucker Path that gives truck routing, and not just he car routing from Google Maps. It costs nothing. Every 7 days you use another email address for a new 7 day trial. Here is a link on how to do that. As a former poor person, I noticed people around me convince themselves they HAVE to have something, maybe they do and maybe they don't, then they find or create reasons why any alternative to spending money in a foolish manner is "impossible", then later decide they HAVE to have something else. Saving points or cash for a big purchase gives plenty of time to consider and reconsider that big purchase and makes the cost obvious to you.

Some people sign up for cell service that doesn't work everywhere, then can't use their phone where they need it, then have only bad options and then use that as an excuse for spending unwisely. If a truck driver really is OTR he needs a phone on the Verizon or ATT network, not one of the very very slightly less expensive city-based networks. There are companies called MVNOs that get you on the Verizon or ATT networks without being a direct customer of VZW/ATT and it costs less. Howard Forums is a great cellphone forum and many people will help newbies find a good MVNO, I used Xfinity Mobile for years unlimited talk/text and 20GB of data monthly for $45. Visible is the online-only service of Verizon, there are no people to talk to, but they provide Vzw connection, unlimited everything for $25 per month with their Party Plan. Where 4 users split a $100/mo bill. You don't have to bring 3 other people or even know 3 other Visible customers. Visible will put you in a Party Plan with 3 other people you never know or meet and each of you just pay $25/mo to Visible.

There are many ways to make this happen, but you have to look around and decide what you need, do you really need it, and what's the best way to get it. Don't throw obstacles in your own path and feel put upon.

Side pipes Thanks this.
  4. Side pipes

Side pipes Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2022
    Ireland
    That’s some great advice driver I’ll definitely look into those options gps and a reliable cell are a Must in trucking .

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    I've down loaded it and it doesn't offer free. It's too expensive anyway. You can bank that money and just get a gps. Thanks but I don't need financial advice. I'm probably older than you. I just think gps s are overpriced and I'm looking for a way around it I did stop using my points for stuff and I'm at 6000 already. So I'll leave them for now and continue using my phone with caution.

Side pipes Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

You've downloaded what? What's not free? How much does it cost? Trucker Path is free on Google Play's store. I'm using it as I type this. You can try Hammer App, it's also free.

Side pipes Thanks this.
  7. snicrep

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    Down loaded trucker path. Yeah they offer it free with ads. I don't need that.
    I'm currently using hammer. It's ok 90% of the time. It's taken me on traffic jam prone routes in stead of the interstate. Also convoluted back roads when the rt could have just been to go straight. Also the banner has showed a turn that's opposite of what the map says (which is the right one). Also way over estimates eta. But I know what to expect from it.
    Bottom line, I'm getting a 6 inch one from loves with points. That'll free up my phone for other things

Side pipes Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

5 inch truck GPS will give you all the same info, be easier to mount in more places in the truck and speaks at the same volume. It can save you at least $100 compared to 7 inch version. Most of the help a GPS gives while driving comes from the spoken alerts. If I was trying not to spend the $4-500 for a larger truck device I would buy the smaller version. After using 2 different 7 inch truck GPS units, you are looking at the screen mostly when parked and building a route. Once you start driving you get voice alerts for "turn left/right" and "use 2 left/right lanes to ..."

I gave up on Hammer app as it was too clunky for my taste and it seemed more difficult to add POI to my current route. But whether you use Hammer, RM, Garmin, or some cheap and dangerous cars GPS after enough time you will get comfortable with it and learn to make it do almost everything you need it to do. That's when something better comes out or your current solution breaks. I greatly preferred my RM 740 to the better looking Garmin OTR700 and the Hammer app because I understood it's faults and how it was thinking. I used it for 4 years after RM stopped supporting it and updating maps.

9. snicrep

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    I'm looking at the 6" one (rand McNally I think) from loves. It was on sale for $299. I want to get at least 10000 pts first.
    I got a cheap truck gps from Amazon and it was not easy to use and the deal killer was the screen was too full during the day.

Side pipes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.