is biofuel worth the fuel discount?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by heavyhaulerss, Apr 14, 2014.

1. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I have a good discount thru my co. but the best discount of all is the pilot/j stores. which there are 2 in my route. I get .30 a gal cheaper than the cash price, which resulted in $124.00 in savings this last week alone. the problem is the bio fuel fills my davco fuel filter up within that week. some times it will last 3 day's. some times 5 days. some times it is 1/2 full, than within 150 miles it is past full. fuel filter cost $10.00 a piece. had to change it out twice while on the road. usually at shipper or receiver. is bio really that bad, that I should discontinue it's use or just get used to changing fuel filter twice a week. when the ole fuel was in circulation I could go 25,000-30,000 miles before needing to change filter, then when the ulsd came out I had to change filter about every 7-10 thousand. now the bio, maybe get 300 miles to 1500 miles. any opinions? I figured after using it off& on for a couple years things would get better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    In the past I've seen you mention where Loves and Pilot fuel had a tendency to do this to your truck and so you tried to avoid them. I don't know if you can beat that 30 cents a gallon off cash price anywhere else. The only place I know of that I could beat that would maybe be at Kroger here in my hometown but not always. Not convienient to fuel there more than once a week for me anyways. Seems like if you went thru a couple of filters a week you'd still come out ahead. But I know it's got to be aggravating.

Thing is I've been fueling at Pilots for the past 5 years, probably like 90% of the time or better. And I've never had a problem with their fuel or the Loves. I don't have as good of filtration on my truck as yours though so maybe the gunk is just going thru the injectors? I've got an old school canister with a screen for a primary. Every 10,000-12,000 miles I pull the screen out of it, thoroughly clean that and the canister, top it off then put it back on. The secondary filter I just throw away and replace at the same interval. I have a restriction gauge but it never shows any restriction likely because I change/clean the filters in about half of their useful life just as a matter of routine.

Every once in a while I might see some stuff in the primary but only rarely. I've never really had nor noticed any sort of fuel problems at all in the past 5 years. It might be that the fuel I'm using is just as bad as what you are but with your better filtration you're clogging up your davco. I dunno. But I do know I've never had any injector problems and/or fuel issues. I can't even recall ever getting fuel with water in it but I hear a lot of guys complain about that with certain Pilots from time to time.

4. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    If you see the fuel and it's coming out yellow id avoid that stuff. It seems to clog the filters a lot faster then the green fuel. Yellow is corn based I believe and the green is soy based I think. I've never had problems with the green but that yellow will plug a filter within a week guaranteed.

On a side not my company just installed these new stainless steel filters instead of the paper filters for the fuel and they work awesome. This ones been on here over a month and it's still near the bottom. Maybe look into that option.

5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    What's the micron rating of the Davco filter you're using? I know they filters are available in 10 and 25 micron ratings, and I believe I've seen 50 micron filters, also.

6. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    if you start running bio fuel in a old engine you might have some filter problems for a short time. older engine filters are about 50 microns and the newer engines about 10 microns. and if you have a alge problem in your tank you will have big time filter problems,look in the tank with a flashlight see if a black tar looking things are in the bottom of the tank. i run a lot of bio fuel and never had any real problems with it. i worked for a agra business company so we run alot of bio to keep the farmers happy. the only problems we had is when we 1st started to use it,and it was more a problem with our storage tank than the trucks. lots of luck

7. UrbanCowboy67

UrbanCowboy67 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2014
    CHICAGO, IL
    ^ agreed. Built a bio fuel diesel car in college. Worked great after the gunk in the tank got washed out. It sputtered a little in the first 1000 miles or so but never left us stranded or stalled out. Just gave it hell on the throttle

8. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    What was the outside temperature during this time period?

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    The Biofuel is causing a lot of fuel system trouble for the tier II and newer fuel systems. Due to their tolerances being so tight, they just can't take the water and trash. I'm not sure what year of truck you are running but I would definitely stay away from it if my truck was less than 10 years old. That being said I won't run it in this old B model. The fuel injection shop we use gives to many causes as biofuel and not enough lubrication in said biofuel. I have seen to many call horse pucky and have the same issue again and try to blame the fuel injection service. A few took the the bet of change your fuel your problem will go away and it did.

10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    iv always heard bio fuel was better for lubrication. iv never really run much of it maybe a tank full of 10% bio once or twice. iv heard that bio has a lot of solvent property's and tends to clean build up out of your fuel tanks and plug your filters when you first start running it.

i believe heavyhalerss is running a 11.1L 60 series if my memory is any good.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I would say any DDEC II or III would be fine most likey a IV but I would start getting leary with a V

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.