Is Cdl license transfer needed

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by fuel367, Mar 4, 2019.

1. fuel367

fuel367 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2019
    If you get a CDL in one state and move to another state, do you have to change the CDL license to the new state? Like you do with a vehicle state driver license or is the CDL good wherever you go/live? Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes. You have 30 days to get it done.

When I got married the next thing before honeymoon was to change out the Maryland CDL to a Arkansas CDL for my new home address. That took 10 minutes and a picture along with vision, written tests etc in those days. (Already grandfathered with Maryland and Arkansas treated it as such, so it's not a problem clearing the renewal of endorsements etc on the spot. Unlike today)

4. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    Ok man good to know, hopefully! Your comment implies its' more 'complicated' these days or that there is more to it, ie. retesting for endorsements etc. What gives man? Ps. How u doing, any monumental progress to report, x1heavy?

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Depending on how long you've had the CDL and the state you are moving to...Your new state could make you retake your road test..

6. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    Hey Concorde, thanks for the reply. I would think the more recent the CDL (don't have 1 yet) the less likely they'd make you retake. But of course, the way this 'trip' has taken me, it could be just the opposite. In Mississippi now with an Ohio license, will have to get switched to MS to get permit. Then if lucky, get hired either here or there. So will c what happens, if it happens. Appreciate the post. Be safe, stay healthy. Peace! GC

7. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    PS. Play that mouth organ in the fine looking rig, my man. take care dude

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The requirements for a CDL has gotten much stiffer now than in my time. 20 years is a huge difference. A different time.

Im doing ok, moved about 40 and 60 pound bags of soil two days ago for friend to get the spring planting started. Be more where that came from next month. Some of the muscles are making me pay for it though, it's been 4 months since I imposed that kind of weight on it. Im not really supposed to put that weight on actually but have healed so fast the doc pretty much threw up his hands and told me to gwan, Im running where most people are 6 to 9 months on. already.

Couple of other things to look at plus a updated three D of the heart this month or next that will determine where the valves are and if they need replacing, we will drop new ones in. This year is a big year medically because we are making repairs where repairs are possible. In some cases outright replacement parts.

9. fuel367

Jan 25, 2019
    well i hope things continue the course and improvement comes steady, easy does it man...them meds act like vitamins for some, give a false sense of energy. but i get the impression that u ain't new to any of it. listen to what the body tells ya. take it easy my man!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.