Is everyone running an ELD in their new trucks?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Short Pull, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Short Pull

Short Pull Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2021
    Looking at buying a 2021 W900. Haven’t owned a truck new enough to require an ELD before, just wondering if most of you guys are actually using them? I only run the truck about 6 months a year, maybe 80k miles. If the ELD rule is strictly enforced, I think I’ll stick to my older truck. But I haven’t had a Diesel Bear ask to see even my paper log in a few years. Just curious if you guys running brand new trucks OTR are on the electronic timer or not

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You best have one, even as I type, I'm sure Congress is marching to include ALL trucks to have one. And for the record, a "Diesel Bear" doesn't need to stop you physically. They can monitor everything from the median as you go by. There are a few exceptions, however.
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-service/elds/who-exempt-eld-rule

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  4. 50WT

50WT Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I've been driving a glider, 2017 truck with 1996 engine. I got this truck new , it got 817,000 miles on it and I've been asked to show my paper logs 3 times , every time I told the officer it's a glider and no questions asked.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If you're a local guy who's company doesn't have trucks running outside the radius. It's not needed.

If you're a local who's company does have trucks running outside the radious. Then ALL trucks apparently need it.

I know quite a few locals who have one because of that fact.

Me personally. The only one I ever had was 12 years ago in a 2009. Right now. I'm in a 2020 and don't have one.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Source? And not hearsay, an actual link to this? Because the ELD isn’t for the truck, it’s for the driver. It doesn’t matter what the truck does, it matters what the driver does. It would certainly be easier to have them in every truck if you’re running a mix because drivers wouldn’t be needing to install and remove logs if they have to switch trucks. But I’ve seen nothing in regards to requiring all trucks to have them if some of the fleet operated outside of the shorthaul exemption.

Tall Mike, Bean Jr., Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I know a few guys running around without them, excluding livestock haulers. One guy runs all over for a small reefer outfit and as far as I know none of them run an ELD and they all have trucks that are only a couple years old. Last time I looked them up they had a couple failed inspections for no ELD and I would assume at some point they’d start getting put out of service for that for more than 10 hours once they stack up more violations. But the risk must outweigh the reward when they can drive 1200 miles a day and overnight loads.

You can also poke around social media and it’s easy to figure out who has them and who doesn’t and if they do you can tell who unplugs them and keeps driving. Everyone documents everything these days and tags their locations.

8. Short Pull

Sep 8, 2021
    I’m thinking that, according to my logbook, I’m usually dragging around a bull rack…..except when I get pulled over and happen to have a skateboard tied up to me instead. Pretty sure that’ll fix the ELD problem

77fib77, dirthaller and Vampire Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    If you only have to run a log 8 days out of a rolling 30 day period you’re not required to have one.

Diesel Dave, Oxbow and Vampire Thank this.
  10. Short Pull

Sep 8, 2021
    That exemption might work too

Vampire Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The source (hearsay) comes directly from the drivers themselves. Quoting my post. I know quite a few drivers who have one because of that fact.

And those quite a few drivers DO have long haulers in their companieS. And since they all work for different companies and have the same story.

As for switching trucks.
    Don't they just simply LOGIN?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.