Is first job with Canada Cartage a good choice?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Mikeli, Jan 22, 2021.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    If it’s hourly, I would believe it. My brother is local hourly, and does 70k 10-12 hour shifts 5 days a week. You can’t #### drivers hourly like you can by the mile, and if they do, you show up to court with time cards and it’s game over.

Canadianhauler21 and Mikeli Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Also, as I did mentioned before Unionized Trucking companies is the way to go once you can put up with the politics such as seniority, greviences, bumping off of routes because of other senior drivers, paying $75 - $90/union dues monthly & uniforms. From DHL, Canpar, Coca cola etc.. All these places Need quality drivers who work. For those who driver OTR and are Owner Operators and can save a good amount anually in the range of $10k/year for 20 years its could be equivalent to a nice pension but pensions are something that most never consider when they should. Not only counting on CPP alone.

4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Im all about it man, the day UPS calls me back to driver feeder doubles, I will drop my Volvo off at Pride Truck sales on consignment and be right over.

5. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    The other way to look at it most carriers want a years experience. So, in theory, all you want is a year somewhere and you cut the reigns. Then you go to SWIFT. Only kidding (you'll get it later on in your career). BUT that only works if your confident and take to it like a duck to water. If you are uneasy and feel the need to be slid into the seat, and there's nothing wrong with that (see: SWIFT), then wait for Challenger or similar carrier with a training program. Bison, Day & Ross are huge very successful companies because once those apron strings are on you, you'll eat it every day. Avoid at all costs. TransX has great Lease to Own option likely available after a couple years that can get you your own truck, too. Whatever you do, good luck!

BigHossVolvo and Mikeli Thank this.
  6. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I remember when I applied to them 3 years ago I had no experience.

I didn't know about the driver facing camera. I worked at a company that had that and only lasted 6 months.

TheStopSignGuy and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  7. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    This man knows! “Eat it everyday” yessir, that’s the best description of Bison and company I’ve ever heard.

TransX maybe a lot of things, but at least there is no slip seating, no contracts and yes the lease to own is second to none. Know a couple dudes who finished their leases; one with CanXpress and one with DeckX; met them while I was doing ABL loads for TransX.

I hear since CN bought them, they cut a lot of dead weight; and the facilities are all being revamped.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  8. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    CN will streamline it. God know their in house brokers alone are working miracles daily!

9. Stillookingforthedream

Stillookingforthedream Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2021

As long as you can financially afford to wait years to get to top pay . I looked at some of the union shops like ups .part time or seasonal and low starting wages . I’ve seen adds for ups starting $16-18 a hr and not full time hrs . I can’t live on those hrs and wages

BigHossVolvo and skipgears Thank this.
  10. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Unions of today are a mere joke and a shadow of what they once were, they are mostly corrupt and in bed with the employers! It is now time for a reformation.

11. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    $16 - 18 are part time not Full-time nor part of the tier method used. Full time drivers 1st year are between $23 - 24/hr working on a tier system as most do now a days. Yes, it might take a few years to work your way to $31/hr to $32/hr but thats because most Major Unionized Trucking companies involved in Courier work and work with Collective Agreements want to see some sort of dedication. On average when looking at most trucking jobs most start around $19/hr to $22/hr. Yes, I've seen some start even at $24/hr but not much higher than that. Plus they don't pay Overtime until 60 hrs so you can only max out 10 hrs in a week at time & half. Unions have taken a down turn in the last couple decades however earning o.t. after 40 hrs or in some cases 45 hrs adds up to more than the majority working for Peanuts. Yes, seniority by putting in years might seem discouraging at times. But when you factor in working 60 hours for $23/hr = $1380/week verses $20.50/hr for 45 hrs plus 15 hr @ o.t.(1.5) = $1,383.75 with a pension guarantee, raise in 6 mths or annually tier or percentage (1% or 2%) things add up!. Besides there are plenty of other Major Courier Companies that don't advertise their hourly wages that will surprise you once you inquire them. Look up Canada Post and affiliates.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.