is fracwater hazmat?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by nicholas_jordan, Apr 9, 2012.

is eagle ford better than Permian Basin?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2012.
  1. *

weather makes EFS preferrable

60.0%
  2. does not mater as one is in the cab often

20.0%
  3. no - it does not matter

20.0%
  4. state parks are closer so EFS is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    Thank you, the lack of clarity in original work here by me has to do with too many nutcases in the fruitcake along with the concerns of how to get across to water-tanker operations - using a letter - that I am already working 7x14 with 100,000 hours ~ most of which is either in heavy-operations or related ...... doing so with a mailing that will probably be pitched in the round-file due to too many showing up from out of state on a letter then abandoning efforts as "too hard" after ten hours or ten days is one central, underlying purpose in my having started the thread.

If anything, there lies the lies that annoy me ~ I priced Red Wings yesterday and it is $194.84 to slip on a pair of steel-toe Pecos boots from Cochran, Blair & Potts - anything other than that gets cheap-skate from the killin'est nation in history = stuff that fails on first use like would never be tolerated in traditional workplace { old style: "No rest for the wicked, no mercy from the cruel, no room for cream." In which era standard operations is defined as: The beatings will continue. }

At that time, you get a decent pair of lace-ups for 35-40 bucks from some retailer and drive around and look for a job. Ten hours or ten days later, you scribble on a W-4 and dig in the trunk for toolbelt, which probably has some 16-d duplex from the last job. Ten days or so later, you get first check and that is all there is too it until quit or get fired, then you do it again.

For me.... form-relase ( near to diesel & used in concrete building to prevent forms sticking to wall ) was the most toxic chemical we handled.....Nomex Coverallls & Kevlar para-aramid synthetic fiber as Uniforms - forced by "safety regulations" - in 114° heat at Andrews Texas - when all it is is 10 ¢ cheapo ........ tell ya what, pitch one of those Nomex "fire-resistant" into the camp-fire and let me know how long it actually is fire-resistant, let alone whether one has to wear one to camlock a 4-5" pressure hose to the discharge of PTO driven water-pump on a frack-water trailer,.....

Carbon Tetra Chloride was the best cleaning agent in the world. Parts, uniforms, mouthy helpers and pestilence from sales persons could all be eliminated with a splash of CTC until mousey college deaducated fantasies took over all current thinking like some twilight-zone has taken over reality, replacing thinking with "for-sale" ....... we always siphoned gas with a hose ~ never bothering with silly pumps and all that, the mouth makes an excellent siphon-starter

Seriously, didja know fissionable grade U-235 can be handled with the bare hands but common Granite is something Nuke Workers won't touch?.....

Look it up, this is not a joke. Not even one one sliver of a joke.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicholas_jordan

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    I need mailing address for Select and Key, both of which came back even though I used Look Up a ZIP Code ... I have 70 to do so those two are a place to start finding field-office and getting correct mailing address - Pioneer went along with 6 others but will be re-doing the whole effort based on USPS direct-mail instructions that Postmaster sent me yesterday.

4. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Where I need to be.
    I am having to replace my "Tropical" (light weight) Nomex right now, because they are flat wore out. I don't mind wearing the Nomex, because I and several friends, have had fire experiences with them.

In spring 1984 I was at a coal fire power plant in Kemmerer WY doing what was called a "Klinker wash". "Klinkers" are the slag that results from the burning of coal in the boilers of the power plants. Some of those things can be massive, and water is pumped into them via lances, to cause them to breakup and fall back into the grinder at the bottom of the boiler. Because it was still cold at night in Wyoming, I was my insulated Nomex. During the pump operation my responsiblity was to man the truck pump. The power plant personnel were manning the lance, which was about 100 feet in length and was slung from over head beams by cables, to allow easy maneuverability. About 2 hours into pumping on my shift, the power plant changed crews, and one of the three people whom was working the lance was a woman.

20 minutes after these folks had started handling that lance, the two men disappeared, and the woman was left to handle the lance on her own. After 20 minutes of watching her struggle with that thing, I went down and helped her. Now besides my insulated nomex, I had on my hard hat with a nomex liner and a face shield, Red Wing leather boots, as well as leather gloves with mid-arm cuffs. The lady was wearing Dickies coveralls, a hard hat with face shield, cotton gloves and low top leather boots.

Being macho and smart, I spotted a huge klink about 2/3 way up the boiler wall, and using my body weight, I maneuvered that lance to it. About 5 minutes into working on that sucker with the water, I got the lance into the main body. Bad mistake. That klinker exploded and blew out the fire in the boiler. I mean it put that sucker out. The heat and flames that belched out of the furnace melted my hard hat and face shield. The front side of my Nomex went from bright blue to charcoal black. I had a heat rash on my neck where the heat came under the face shield. I had two 1st degree burns from where the heat came under the cuffs of the nomex and gloves.

When the emergency crews got to us, the woman (Who had been bracing my back as I maneuvered the lance) had coveralls on that were smoldering. Her hair had been singed pretty badly and she had heat rash on her face. Other than that nothing bad. Had she been working that lance alone and the same thing had happened...she would have died, because her coveralls would have burst into flame along with her street clothes underneath and her hair.

In 1985 a friend was on a drill rig outside Aztec NM. The rig was drilling the well with natural gas, and a fire resulted when a fired righand flipped a burning rag into the doghouse. My friend Andy, was on the rig floor when the fire started. He drug a floor hand off the floor as he ran. Then he went all brave and macho and returned, rescuing other rig hands, including the company man, who worked for Southland Royalty Corporation. Andy suffered sever burns to his neck and face, because he leaned into the fire to pull out the driller, the tool pusher and the company hand. Three times. His nomex protected his body. Andy also suffered a nervous breakdown after the fact. But he was taken care of for his heroics. Southland Royalty is the oil company that was owned by Lady Bird Johnson and her family (father's side). She met with Andy and his wife several weeks after the fire, and when he was unable to work because of his mental breakdown, she saw to it that his family's financial needs were taken care of. WELL TAKEN CARE OF.

Nomex that is worn in chemical plants, oil refineries, industrial facilities of any type, and the oilfield, is not meant to be used for rescue. It is simply meant to give you a chance to escape. It is not chemical resistant. It is only fire resistant!

I despise wearing tyvek and rubber chemical suits over it in the Texas heat!!

5. braken

braken Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012
    what companies are operating in eastern wyoming/colorado for fracing, thanks

6. nicholas_jordan

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
  7. Bandit575

Bandit575 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2012
    New Mexico
    Dude I know select energy services. I myself am a driver for standard energy services in new mexico. we have a select yard in carlsbad. anyway, i have worked in the oilfield as a waterhauler for three years now and you dont have to have haz mat to haul frac water (flowback) produced water, or even drilling fluids. It all falls under the waste haulers permit (WHP) number that is on your truck and trailer. even water with condensate in it really isnt haz mat as long as its contained in your trailer and your valves and vents arent leaking. hope this helps. I just got my haz mat endorsement and hopefully will be starting at groendyke next week.

8. Billwilliams

Billwilliams Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    So how did it work out for you?

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are replying to something 7 years ago.

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  10. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Legally it's not but the hous dangerous tank in a battery is the water tank

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.