Is freight brokerage a dying industry

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by freightbroker222, Oct 3, 2018.

1. freightbroker222

freightbroker222 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Based on the other conversation that was talked on this group, do people think this is a dying industry. With Uber Freight and other broker apps moving in. Will the small brokerage be around in 10 to 15 years?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nicky123

Nicky123 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    No I hope not I am just getting started

4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    The amount of freight I've been moving suggests otherwise. I wouldn't put much stock in the "Freight brokerage is dying," conversation. Folks who can't adapt to the changing market aren't making it work, but that's just how things have always gone.

5. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    smaller brokers can compete on personnel service compared to megas and that will always be there

MissYvonnesTransport and PPDCT Thank this.
  6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    That's how we do it.

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Not likely, but nothing is impossible if government decides to step in and do more regulation.

I owned an insurance agency for 30 years and employed 40 people. When Obamcare was introduced, they told insurance companies that they can make no more than 20% profit on insurance sales. The fastest way to cut costs was to eliminate sales agents by cutting commission to almost nothing, and reduce staff for customer service. Needless to say, over the last few years most agents and brokers who specialized in medical insurance have left the field, and those who remain are struggling to make a living. You also may have noticed that when you make a call to your health insurance company, customer service is either horrible or non-existent compared to before Obamacare.

Midwest Trucker and PPDCT Thank this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I think it's interesting how companies like SWIFT Transportation who have HUGE capacity for contract securement, yet, have a horrible reputation with many of the same shippers they have contracts with, are sending a lot of their work downstream to other freight brokerage companies (for a cut) who then broker SWIFT'S freight to smaller carriers who get their contract work done for them.

It's capitalism at it's finest ;-) But it sure makes for strange bed fellows! LOL

Lite bug, PPDCT and DSK333 Thank this.
  9. Nicky123

Nicky123 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    My husband just received his cdl can anyone tell me the most legitimate website to gets loads or does he have to be owner operator?

10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Uh. Does he have equipment yet?

DSK333 Thanks this.
  11. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Naw, i don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon. Convoy isn’t worth much to me, never really did Uber.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.