Is gas tanker work slower in winter?.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lonewolf2000, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Wind and hydroelectric... might as well burn oil. SAVE THE FISH AND BIRDS!

in case you didnt know im only joking with you.

MartinFromBC and REO6205 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

That's a lot like us. We were a small logging company and never planned to get into tankers at all. We bought out a local fuel distributor, mostly to give us an affordable rate on fuel, and when we found out what it was costing to have the stuff trucked into our storage we bought a couple of used PIE tankers and did our own hauling. Later on we picked up a couple of cardlock facilities and that gave us work for two more tankers. We bit the bullet and bought new and it worked out okay. A few years later we picked up the contract to haul JetA and 100LL to some of the local airports. That meant two more new tankers.
    For now, six tankers seems about right, along with the other trucks we have. We made the decision a long time ago not to get too big and for us that's been a good way to go,

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    No problem. If a guy didn't have a good sense of humor and an appreciation for the absurd California would be a tough place to keep your sanity.

Blackshack46 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    One company I worked for only did retail stations. They slowed down in winter. I ended up with a few 3 day weekends off during the winter, which bothered me not at all. We used to run n gun in the summer when the money was fat.

Another place I worked for did retail stations, but also ran #2 FO to warehouses, schools, independent bulk operators, and industrial facilities. We ran #6 FO to paper plants and prisons. There was no winter slowdown. Day-off work was available on request.

I'll also say that hiring a smoker depends on the company.

I shared a truck with a smoker who smoked in the truck. I kept quiet until he #####ed to the boss that I splashed coffee on the dash. (Black coffee, and I wiped it up)

When the boss called to chew me out, I took it and asked for one favor:

Please have the other guy empty the ashtray at the end of his shift.

Nothing happened to that driver. He quit that company shortly before I did.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    On smoking...years ago we had a tanker driver who smoked cigars. Even then there were rules against smoking in the trucks but the driver was a good hand and we just kind of winked at it. Most of us smoked anyway.
    Until...one day he was crossing Cottonwood scales with a load of AvGas on and a big fat cigar hanging out of his mouth and the smoke blowing out the window. Red light.
    He got a ticket. BIG ticket.
    When he got to the yard he came in and was crying and complaining about the cost of the ticket. Our boss at that time just kinda leaned back in his chair and growled at him "You got off light. I would have written you two tickets...one for smoking in a placarded tanker, and the other for being dumb enough to cross the scales with a cigar hanging out of your mouth".
    The boss could talk to drivers like that in those days. I miss that sometimes.

Rugerfan, bottomdumpin and homeskillet Thank this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The boss can still talk to drivers like that at smaller companies.

Don't be goin' all "x1" on us........:D

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    We just do AvGas and jet. Gets real busy around the holidays. Stays steady the rest of the time.
    If things do get slow we just haul chemicals.

9. MrJoop

MrJoop Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2012
    For us, gasoline slows down a little bit when school starts. Dyed diesel picks up in spring and fall. Clear diesel stays steady and fuel oil and kerosene pick up to more than make up for gas slowing down. I get more hours in the winter.

MartinFromBC and homeskillet Thank this.
  10. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

x1? Man that is cold. Cold, I tell ya. :(

bottomdumpin and homeskillet Thank this.
  11. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    That driver sounds like a complete moron. As I said earlier I would walk a safe distance from the truck to smoke before or after unloading, never in truck or near truck. I don’t want to be the human torch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.