Is hauling modular buildings a starter job for OSOW?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, May 16, 2019.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Yep, you are what you do.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    Just delivered half of a new CDL classroom to Knight. Not on setup crew yet, so just spotted one of them. Not that long ago I was in CDL school myself.

IMG_20190802_111453063~2.jpg

4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I learned to drive truck pulling oversize buildings. First time I drove I was 12 feet wide. Had one accident which wasn't my fault in the year I did it. I could have avoided it though.
    You just have to stay alert to stuff on the shoulder especially. I've had times I came around a corner and there was a car right on the white line with a line of fourwheelers beside me. Times like that you try to get real skinny lol. Had some real scares doing it but was a challenge I enjoyed.

5. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    Well, the tire thing is coming true. I'm sort of appalled that a large corporation that claims to be safety focused would release a building to go a few hundred miles with old tires on it, especially since they just refurbed everything else.

Landincoldfire and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I see the mobile home haulers doing 80 mph passing everyone , the you see them sitting on the shoulder for an hour changing the tires , then 50 miles down the road they will blow by again doing 80+

seems like most driving 65 would get there faster by not blowing out the crappy tires

cke and Landincoldfire Thank this.
  7. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    Speed limit for buildings in AZ is 55. I was in a convoy and the driver behind me said a deputy followed me for many miles waiting for me to speed up after passing him sitting, but I was paid hourly.

The tires they use are a joke to begin with, maybe $30 for rim and tire made overseas in a slave country, if they bother to put new ones on, sometimes the building gets pulled out of a lot where it sat for years and the tires are missing strips of casing or tread but they wanted it moved "just up the road".

One trick with tires is to run low inflation, the cheap tires heat up and most of them come with 120 PSI off the new pile. Starting with half of that helped, but at a rest stop they'd be up in the 80's-90's again from being cheap hysteresis-prone tires. At 80 mph they would be a public hazard. If two or more blow at once the whole building could slew around the road violently or roll.

Sometimes the prep crew forgets to tighten the suspension up and a whole axle shifts over a bump and locks tires together. Some drivers don't pin the doors shut and they could fly open, inside is often the hardware for anchoring them, which is heavy iron parts.

I always thought from watching them as a kid that the process looked stupid and after I did it I found that my initial impression was correct, the people I worked for were ignorant about DOT rules or safety, didn't know or care how to inspect a tractor.

It's all about production and cost cutting and who cares if the driver is lying on the roadside under a building changing a tire, because they underbid and got the run. They'd run without permits, with known faulty equipment, kept going because of cost-cutting. If I ran a state DOT I'd inspect every one of those haulers.

What I did learn was to take 60 x 14' down a busy two-lane. through construction zones, and into a dirt lot and situate it on marks. And I made a mental note that I'd be happy to work OSOW if it was a safe company. But buildings, my advice is keep your distance from those halfarses.

And remember when you go to pass them you'll blow the rear away from you and that will pull the front toward you as you reach it, so expect a swerve toward you as you pass and leave extra room.

At the time I worked for the "best" company in the area who serviced the largest building company in the game, everyone had 30 years plus. Can't imagine what it's like at an "unsafe" company.

Mark E7, LoneCowboy and randomname Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.