is having all 7 endorsements the way to go?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thealfa, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Elvenhome21

Elvenhome21 Heavy Load Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Sheboygan, WI
    The only thing you gain by having more endorsements is spending more money renewing your liscense. Normally when you apply somewhere they will tell you what endorsements are required to be hired. Then you get that endorsement. No need to have them if your not using them like P or SB. Hazmat is really dependant on your job. I havent ran for a for hire freight carrier in over a year so let my hazmat lapse because it was time for a full renewal (background and refingerprint) so it would cost me another $300 to keep it. If I was go back to a for hire carrier I would probably need to get it again.

thealfa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thealfa

thealfa Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    all the CDL jobs I've seen either requires hazmat or tanker endorsements. Doesn't the double and triple only required if you're working for mail carriers like Fedex or UPS or delivering bulk goods to big box stores like Walmart?

I don't know why the app I downloaded said there are 7 endorsements total. I can recall one of them having to do with military vehicles, but now I'm reading they are exempt from obtaining a CDL license. Maybe it was a mistake on my part. IDK.

So what you all are saying is either get 1 endorsement minimum and 2 maximum atleast?

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get the tanker/hazmat so you will have many more options to choose from. Depending on the hiring area you live in, those endorsement could mean $20K more pay per year as a new CDL school graduate.

newbietrucker007, DRVNDRVR and HotH2o Thank this.
  5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Then your scope is too narrow. I had hazmat from 02 - 10, and never used it. I've used my tanker endorsement a grand total of four times... twice to haul loads of AC (asphalt cement) oil for the road construction company I was working for, and twice to run a water truck for a landscaping materials supplier I worked for.

It's required for any carrier which runs those, whether LTL companies, or even big box carriers.. Swift runs doubles and Rocky Mountain doubles, my company (Navajo Express) has a division running Rocky Mountain doubles, there are companies in the midwest which run B-trains, etc.

That exemption only applies to military personnel serving in the course of their duties... civilian DoD employees or contractors still require a CDL as appropriate to the vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating/Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Get what you feel you want to get. Just know that passenger endorsements will require a road test, which means you'll need a vehicle for it. Hazmat requires a background check, and it was some $96 last time I checked.

6. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    All you need is T and X.

7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Just remember having the endorsement doesn't mean you can actually drive. I for one drive way too fast to haul gasoline safety. In ice storms you will see a higher rate of doubles and triples in the ditches.

Plus, I have always wondered why anyone would pull triples and put two other drivers out of work.

8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Two others?

Say what?

9. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

For real??

123456, rockee and Dpec Thank this.
  10. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    isnt there an endorsement for steel coil?

11. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Better to haVE THEM AND BE ABLE TO BE TRAINED FOR A SPECIFIC JOB...THAN TO BE AT AN INTERVIEW FOR A GREAT JOB , ONLY TO LOOSE THE CHANCE TO SOMEONE WHO DOES HAVE THEM....

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.