Is heavy haul worth the headache?....

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Awol, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    (I could have also hollered for Heavy Hammer, but I prefer to give jobs to Americans. ;) )

kylefitzy and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Awol

Awol Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2018
    I am happy where im at and i have some expirience hauling over dimensional machinery and crane pieces. But they dont do anything to extravagant and only step deck or flat bed.

Oxbow and Landincoldfire Thank this.
  4. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    With rates at their current state ... spot market OSOW drivers would probably make more driving an uber

Cat sdp, Tug Toy and JonJon78 Thank this.
  5. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Is heavy haul worth the headache? Not to rip on you too much (maybe a little bit)... That question has always made me shake my head. The older I get, the more irritating it gets.

If you're asking the question, then no... It's not worth it. If you find yourself checking out every OD or heavy load, looking at the securement, seeing what you would have done different... and then figure out why they didn't do it the way you would have... If you find yourself looking at every different axle spacing, stepping it off to see what it was... Hey, Heavy Haul... It just might be up your alley!

Way too many people chase money. For ####s sake! Chase what you love to do! If you chase the stuff that pays "good", or the stuff that in any other way is, "worth the headache", your going to suck at it. You might get good at it, but you'll never be great! If you LOVE what you do, you will be driven to be the best. I'm not talking about the "best you can be" (thats bs that is spewed by mothers trying to convince their children that 2nd place is okay)... I'm talking about better than anyone else.

It doesn't matter if you are running Heavy Haul... Van... Flatbed... Wrenching... Digging ditches... Or shoveling ####. Do you what you love to do, status or "worth it" be ######... you'll figure out how to make good money doing what you love to do. You'll be the best at it!

I'll go back to my corner now...

6. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I’m already over here you can hang out with me.

Lepton1, OLDSKOOLERnWV, Oxbow and 6 others Thank this.
  7. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I think that was very well said.
    There are too many people chasing money when they should be chasing their passions.
    Even if one never becomes the absolute best, they'll still be pretty darned good and never be out of work, part of the elite fleet.

Lepton1, OLDSKOOLERnWV, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  8. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Don't give up on your passion... If you give up that easily, it wasn't your passion. You'll figure it out!

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Sorry friend, I try to stay out of these type threads.

10. Awol

Awol Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2018
    I love what I do but at the end of the day still got two kids a wife and a house payment so I would do a job I hate if it paid me enough to take care of my family and responsibility....that bieng said I do love what i do as I said in earlyer posts i make sufficient money now. And work for a great company just not much room for advancement. I've always been awwed at the people hauling the big machinery and what not....to be honest since i am new I dont know if its just the giddy rookie feeling of exploration or where i want my career to go which is why I'm waiting another year....al i know is flat bed and I still learn stuff all the time from some of these old school drivers. Im just rambling but yes i love trucking as a whole most of the time.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  11. Awol

Awol Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Did i post something wrong on "this type of thread"?

Lepton1 and Landincoldfire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.