Is it bad to skip gears while loaded (13 speed)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cobrawastaken, Feb 28, 2020.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    you should know your truck. Nobody else knows you truck gears and motor and how it responds in the torque curve. Sure i can skip alot of gears in my truck but i know when skipping a gear will cause the motor to lug and i know when skipping a gear, the motor will stil be in its pulling torque curve. After 2 years, you should know how your truck feels at this point buddy. The trans can take whatever youthrow at it unless you miss gear and break the teth off it. So if you can sty within the pullin curve of torque. Yu can skip all you want. not being a jerk just saying

4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    The splitter lockout is in the handle so it cannot know which hole the stick is in. There is no possible way i can think of to cheat split in 4th hole that wouldnt work in any other hole.

Cheater gear is low hole high side which i assume roadranger never listed because the ratio step was out of sequence in the %step from 4th so you go to 5th. People turned that into "you cant do that itll splode" which is untrue. Cheater gear meshes perfect coming out of 3rd with a throttle blip, and it gives you the splitter one gear sooner. I run 3rd, cheater direct, cheater over, 5direct every single time in 2 different 13s and yes i have rebuilt these things.

I cannot figure how powerflow thru cheater gear is detrimental in any way with the parts in my hands so if anyone can explain it in detail im all ears.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i roll my truck off sometimes on a hill

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    RTO125. 8th back at the passenger seat. It’s a 52 year old knob with 3.6 million miles on it so the numbers are worn a little bit. Lol.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I've got one of those on an old tranny in the barn. Never thought about sticking the knob on a modern truck. I might have to do that id I can clean it up good.

9. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm not sure if you read my post, because it has nothing to do with "knowing your truck". I was simply asking if it is bad for the transmission not to split the gears in a 13 speed. If you have to say "not being a jerk" maybe you are.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    They work but you may have to swap the dir and splitter lines on the new trannys. Friend of mine put a RTO146-13 that uses the new “ergonomic” style knobs in a ‘75 White-Western Star that had this same style chrome knob and it wouldn't work. If I remember right it was in dir all the time and when you split to od it would go to low. We finally figured it out about crossing the lines and it was good to go.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I like the looks of these, but I like it 1 position on the knob and with a plunger like this 66540.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.