Is it better to lease from a company or stay as a company driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rbinion, May 10, 2019.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It is better to lease or buy a truck if you are really good at business and like spending most of your time planning all the little details.

If you are really good, and with a good company, you may actually make a bit more than a company driver would running the same miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You can't lease until you have a truck.

4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Are you talking about a lease-purchase, or leasing on to a specific company...totally different contractual agreement.

5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Personally I would drive company. Build up cash reserves in a bank. Then after a year or so, and if you still feel you need to own. Go to the company and ask what they have for used trucks. Find one you like. Now go back to your bank and tell them that you want to finance through them. Let the bank see your balance. Use the balance and the truck as collateral. Then it is up to you if you want to stay with the company or go it alone.

There are some nice trucks out there. So dont go only with what the company offers. Yet avoid a lease as you will end up with around 30% or more in company fees.

6. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    Definitely lease. The truck is basically free. Plus the company pays you to drive it

7. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    all I got was pictures of Swift lease drivers with lizards /s

8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Company driver is less work. Get assigned load, pick up and deliver load, get paycheck. No real worries about equipment.

When you move to a lease, you are now running a business. With that comes all the work related to it.

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Something you have to evaluate for your self, and what your long term plans are, Ive known drivers that it has worked out good for and other that not so great.

The intent is to get you into your own truck, not so much about the pay difference, some companies have a decent buy out some don't.

My cousin got his first truck by leasing from Prime finishing the lease then getting his own authority, he now has 5 trucks running on his own authority. So it really just depends , you have to decide.

10. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    In my opinion these days it don't pay to lease purchase or own a truck. Full maintenance leasing or just leasing and giving it back after 3 or 4 years before the warranty is up is the way to go. They don't make trucks the way they used to. They're all throw aways after the warranty is up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.