Is it common for truck drivers to be methheads?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nyseto, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think back in the 50s 60s and early 70s speed was being prescribed for everything from depression to pms to general tiredness or what they used to call tired blood. If you notice everyone was thin back then. It was really a problem. Truckers were no exception. It was common to take some sort of amphetamines, if only occasionally.Legal stimulates with Effedrine ( white crosses) were common at most Truckstops up until it was outlawed around 2000. The Industry didn’t go down without a fight, lobbying even Bob Dole for support. Now we have 5 hr energy, another recipe for death.Since drug testing though, drug use is not very common. I’ve seen a few, one I became friends with, until I figured out he was a tweaker. Don’t want to associate with any druggies or drunks, too much drama Lol

dwells40 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    On the topic of Meth its not a very well known fact however back in World War 11 the German Army during it's Blitzkrieg were able to go for days without sleep and the reason why is they were given a product called Pervitin more commonly known as Crystal Meth. During the short period between April and July of 1940, more than 35 million tablets of Pervitin and Isophan (a slightly modified version produced by the Knoll pharmaceutical company) were shipped to the German army and air force.

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Hitler himself was a meth addict. Our Air Force also gave it to Pilots

rabbiporkchop and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Indeed. I have actually heard about this, but in a form that was in books that fail to explain in detail. You would imagine a highschool kid being told in such a book that German Solders were issued something to help them stay awake in battle and it will not elaborate to the detail you write for obvious reasons.

I have a feeling our militarizes were issued other drugs as well for a variety of reasons. One I can think of was to fight malaria in the Tropical pacific or the sedatives given to the airborne the morning of D Day among other things. Even go as far as to speculate that it is possible drugs were given to servicemen to essentially make them calmer in garrison by chemically interfering with the male reproductive situation in some way so that they don't get sick from the camp followers and so on. Our own Military and Government Installations designed to keep the leadership alive during and after a Nuclear War exchange stocked huge amounts of Xanax and many other Benzos so that the leadership will continue to function without suffering a high tension failure of emotions based on their families being destroyed by Soviet weapons or some other problem.

To borrow a tune I recall lightly, it is fortunate that they loved their children too, despite very strong preps to not only survive but to continue and win a total nuclear war.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is one of those subjects where I freely toss my hands up and say I have no idea. However, I want to remember an old timer telling me years ago that both The Germans as well as the allies used both amphetamine AND crystal meth. To the best of my memory the USAF as well as the US Navy dept (both navy and marine) pilots still have amphetamine's available.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    I didn't read anything but the first page so maybe this has been covered. Back in the day, driving a truck was a solid middle class + job, and if you didn't want to do it there was someone waiting in line it take your job.

When I was a kid every run my dad made along with all of his fellow drivers made would be a team run today. Lots of chewing on toothpicks back then. Say what you will about those days, but I'd take 1 old-timer for a 1000 of these no driving no showering, can't figure out how to get their ####ing fuel caps off last chance losers that pass for truck drivers these days.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Today Aderol is the new amphetamine being abused. Huge black market, used by College students to cram for tests and Proffesionals for focus,trying to keep an edge on the Competition. Excellent documentary called The history of drugs. Has all the hard to believe facts, such as Mail order Heroin complete with a set of works from Sears and Roebuck’s

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Just tell a cattle rack your in need of a tooth pick.
    You’ll be fine for awhile.

10. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
    Kids today think Runnin Hard means doin their pretrip logged off duty! :D

11. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
    Just gonna leave this here...;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.