***is It Fair To Bash Certain Companies***

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by starstress, Sep 4, 2007.

1. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2007
    ILLINOIS
    You are entitled to your opinion just like they are entitled to theirs. If you dont like the smell of it walk away from it. There is a lot of good advice on here. Take what you can use a discard the rest. If you really want to see how honest a person is look at their past post. If they bash everything and everybody, then yes they have a problem, but if they seem to shoot straight and tell it like it is..you have to accept that it is...." their version of the truth "

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IrishMike202

IrishMike202 <strong>"Ireland-It's My Island"</strong>

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia
    Funny this post come up today. We had a Swift recruiter in today and I asked why Swift has such a bad wrap with the drivers. Some of the very things mentioned here in this post he said. One point that did make a lot of sense was the fact that they are so big and with more trucks on the road, Swift is a bigger target per say. After listening to him, I think I would give Swift a try if I was not already looking at USXpress. If all goes well, I'll get my CDL on Friday and then I will most definitly have to make a decision. Swift said they could get me to orientation as early as Tuesday next week. But for now, I'm just going to concentrate on passing my practical test and see what happens with USX.

4. easyrider

easyrider Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Cowtown, USA
    Well I can just about guarantee that some people on this site give false information. Some of these stories are straight from Hollywood. Others pretend to be experienced truckers, I bet some haven't even worked for some of the companies they bash. Of course the vast majority are truthful, honest people. But there ARE some. You can normally tell these people because they never respond when questioned intently.
    This may stun and surprise everybody, but I have met drivers from Swift, J.B, US Xpress and many others that are completely happy. I agree companies are a roll of the dice. That being said you can increase your odds by doing research.

5. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Most of OTHERS' opinions stink.....but mine smells like roses....
    I am sure everyone else is of the same opinion

6. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI

Exactly. I couldn't have said it any better if I had used smoke and mirrors.

7. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Very TRUE, I also have met far more happy with their employers than those who are not. However, you can't discount those who had bad experiences strictly because of the overwhelming numbers of those who have not....

8. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I wonder how many people work for NASA? Or General Motors? Those employers are very, very big indeed. I wonder if they have to advertise constantly for jobs. I wonder if those guys have 100, 150, or even 200&#37; turnover? Hmmmm.....Let me check the Washington Post or the New York Times for their advertisements.

If GM advertises for 100 good jobs at a factory, 10,000 people line up to get one of those jobs. If Swift advertises 100 (supposedly) good jobs, about 100 people will line up, even though there may be 10,000 people nearby with CDLs. And that is just one day. The day after that 100 more will quit, meaning more advertisements, and on and on and on. Which is the true "good job"? Would you rather work at Swift or at GM? Swift or ABF?

Some trucking companies never advertise. Others must advertise all the time. Some companies never show up at places like ripoffreport.com. Other companies (such as Swift) have tens of posts on ripoff from people who've been done wrong by those outfits.

There is a such a thing as a rotten trucking company. You just gotta learn what to look for and avoid them like the bubonic plague.

9. skipshiftslipshift

skipshiftslipshift Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Defiance, OH
    Turnover is a rate not a number. If you have two employees, they quit during the year, and you replace them - then your turnover is 100%. Say Swift has 14000 drivers and their turnover is 150%. That means they cycle 21000 drivers a year! That is a lot of coming and going! Read the boards to determine why.

10. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Some companies would be happy with a low rate of 150%

11. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    from a former co driver standpoint-aviod companies who have help wanted signs on their trailers,means that their drivers don't stick around very long. if you are needing co paid training then you have to go with one of them. do remember that many get into this industry not knowing what it is all about-and that shows in driver turnover rates. i've never worked with one of those big outfits so i really can't say who is the best-worst,but you will only get that experience by taking the leap. i always have done well with the smaller outfits that expect you to give it 100% at all times,but the same probably applies to the big companies also.who knows,you may do very well with Swift,seen many that have-also seen many who say they are the worst.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.