Is it hard to learn to drive a truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HopefulOleTrucker, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    To me driving a truck is easier than driving a Prius.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Someone once told me "If you can drive it forward... You should be able to drive it backward." I know easier said than done... But in all truthfulness it is indeed true.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    That's a really good way to put it. Everytime I see someone jammed up in a intersection or a parking lot. The truck got in there, that means it can get back out the way it got in.

Lepton1 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  5. Redbeard007

Redbeard007 Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2016
    My problem is when I'm backing I can see the driver side and where I'm going but if I can't see the passenger side cause of the trailer in the way I try to straighten out so I can see both sides and it messes me up, traffic circles are fun. I'm leaving weds with my trainer. Hopefully I catch on fast. Trip planning is what I think will be the hardest.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Exactly... The only time backing up differs from driving forward is the initial steering to start the trailer to one side or the other... Otherwise, backing up is like watching a recording of driving forward, played backward.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The best solution when backing blind side is to GOAL (Get Out And Look). Do that as many times as necessary to make the turn. You should start paying close attention to what you see in your convex mirrors and compare what you saw there versus what you see when you GOAL.

Edited to add: another faster way when blindsiding is to open your passenger window all the way. Stop, set the parking brakes, then lean out the passenger window to see your clearance on that side. This assumes you already know your driver's side clearance is golden (by having looked already or knowing there are no obstructions on the side).

FlaSwampRat and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  8. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    IF you can learn to SENSE where the offside of your trailer is at it makes things much easier. However it is a skill that many people dont seem to learn very easily. Its all about spacial awareness, and understanding (being aware of the location of an object within a given space).

Trip planning isn't too hard except when going into an area you are not familiar with... How much parking is available, is there alternative parking, stupid local laws that could affect you, will a customer accept you early or late, ect.

Once you get out on the road and have some experience trip plannimg is a breeze... I usually do it on the fly and am constantly changing said plan as I need to make it work. Yeah its nice to say that I'm going to leave Idahofalls, ID, stop for 5 mins at the Kemmerer, WY scales, do my 30 min break at the Petro in Laramie, WY, and my 10 hr at the Flying J in Big Springs, NE... But it rarely works out like that. Weather, traffic, fatigue, mechanical problems... These all affect your trip plan and need to be taken into consideration... Just cause it worked the last 10 times you did it doesnt mean it will this time.

Badmon, MYSTYKRACER, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Redbeard007

Redbeard007 Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2016
    Appreciate the tips. I think I'm gonna run regional, I don't see myself enjoying being out for weeks at a time the first year while I'm learning. I'm sure over time I will learn everything I need to learn.

Cattleman84 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'm gonna insert my opinion here that is complete bs to 50% of the people here and genius to the other 50% lol. Maybe try to look for a local job if you don't want to be away from home. Get home every day.

Lepton1 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not always.

Not always. Its going to come out a slightly different way sometimes.

I did a turn once trailer settled next to a tree in the grass off pavement. Interlock and pulled stumps she wouldnt do it Too much lifting on the 5th wheel. Great. Back her up. She came out. The problem was still the same.

A local came up and said we don't put trucks this way We'll get you out, went back to his truck and got a saw. Cut that tree yea high for the wheels. Paid the man a few bucks and got out over that nice low stump.

Im still wrestling with the people and their crappy directions that tied me up down in that hole. It's a T intersection and original plan was to get down in there turn straight, then back all the way past and turn back the way I came.

Ya right...

jammer910Z and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.