Is it illegal to carry a gun in a commercial vehicle?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bama Roadrunner, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Bama Roadrunner

Bama Roadrunner Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2015
    North Alabama
    As the the title states is it illegal to carry a gun in a commercial vehicle? I'm just wondering.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TurnRight379

TurnRight379 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2017
    It varies by state and employer. There's no federal law restricting it, but don't try it and get stopped in the NE.

Cottonmouth85 and Bama Roadrunner Thank this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    No, there is not a federal law against in commercial vehicle. Some localities may have some restrictions, so it is up to you to find out what and where.

Cottonmouth85 and Bama Roadrunner Thank this.
  5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    Massachusetts used to have a law that if you are caught with an unregistered hand gun ---mandatory 1 year in jail.

6. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    If you make occasional runs into Canada like I do then don't even think about it.

flood, BigTennOTR and drodiesel Thank this.
  7. bubba mark

bubba mark Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    No. As long as you have a permit to carry it and the permit is valid in whatever state you are in it is all good. Now if you get caught with one without a permit then I hope you have enough money on you for bail.

delta5 and Bama Roadrunner Thank this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Ok
    So what about a rifle or shot gun that you don't need a permit for?

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  10. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Stop it lol

x1Heavy and tucker Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes and no.

I see this subject a can of worms I'll try to serve up a few to help those not familiar with our Laws.

I am a licensed CHL in my State of Arkansas, we are a shall issue state. meaning anyone who requires a CHL, pays the fee and endures the period of time for background checkup to approve or not approve into our Court system. I happen to agument my ordinary markmanship which itself is nothing special to speak of except I have had the honor and privledge to have had counter terror training from overseas when the instructors come here to teach small groups at a time into what is called a IDF Core fundenmentals of weapons work. And includes specifically Alquaeda, Taliban and others who are mortal enemies of our way of life.

My Colt, which is a 99 rail gun model is not lawful in several States around the Union. Neither is the ammunition I carry with it. Three types. One is a Buffalo Bore .45 in super hard-cast lead with a flat round nose and 1400 feet per second at 255 grain. There is the Ranger T Hollow point which has been thousands through my weapon without failure to feed etc. I use a number of CMC+ Tripp research magazine follower kits that replaces the CMC power mag's default ten round capacity. I carry 9 in each magazine. 5 plus one is on hand at all times. two more are ready to go hither thither and yonder. The next and last ammunition I use in the Colt is a Federal Hollow Point surplus from Military, FBI and Police.... Again this ammunition crosses into P+ Territory. I have been more than happy with the Colt, seeing how the United States Marine Corps are evaluating it as one of the candidates for the MARSOC Weapons tree.

The Police involved in 99 are not the police involved in '17 you will have what was common Lawmen back in the 60's or 70's penetrating the carpeting and waving guns around under the Castle Doctrine.

Employers in Arkansas are required to leave employee cars alone, there was talk of physically searching employee cars when they are parked some time ago. There was a good possibility that a number of cars when properly broken into will yeild a collection of quality weapons. Some of which are expensive. I am also locating and keeping away a dangerous trend in Railroading. Gathering and queing rail cars by Cargo rather than by Name which is kept away as much as possible

We are all looking forward to using the new span at long last. It is my hope that no one gets hurt this week as the celebrations continue on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.