Is it illegal to carry a gun in a commercial vehicle?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bama Roadrunner, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you mean?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    This is the post I was referring to.

The other poster mentioned a "dwelling". An RV is not protected under the 4th amendment. From that I would say a truck, even though you "live" in it while on the road, would be considered the same. Extrapolating from that, if a motorized vehicle is not considered a dwelling for the purposes of searches, I would assume it would not be considered as a dwelling for the purposes of whatever rule the poster is referring to. Although I'm not aware of what exactly he is referring to here. It's pretty vague.

Ed

4. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Use the search feature. This horse has been beat to death numerous times.

Solo Soul, Joetro and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    I was thinking the same thing... hasn't a #### thing to do with answering the question

6. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    There is no federal law of carrying a weapon in a commercial vehicle. What one needs to be aware of is whether or not the States you travel through are reciprocal with your state. The only other regulation or policy you need to be concerned with is whether or not your company warrants you to carry a gun.

7. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    So much so that it is now dog food

Solo Soul and crb Thank this.
  8. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I picked up a load at the Sierra Army Depot in Herlong. The security detail required all firearms, camera's and binoculars be left at the security entry point. Wife was with me so we gave them 2 pistols,camera and binoculars. We were instructed we could leave the guns loaded. We went in, picked up the load and our guns etc were returned at exit without any report or paperwork.
    Amazing! This was in 1981.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for the post, I wondered where you were at with this.

Yeah that's twisted because the courts have interpreted that someone living under a bridge and has a shopping cart with their stuff, the cops can't search the bridge, or the cart because of the 4th.

Duurtipoker Thanks this.
  10. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD

I love to camp. I used to have a trailer but now I only tent camp. The state parks here in MD started a new rule a few years ago, no alcohol in the campground. I was told by some of the rangers (my ex is also a ranger/park manager) that as long those who have a trailer or motorhome keep it inside, all is well since they can't search. I told them cool that sounds fair. Knowing that if they ever search my tent and as long as I keep my beer inside the tent, I'll have it thrown out in a hurry. I did try to explain to the ex so they could change their rules but....she don't listen....she's an ex for a reason ;) but still...free camping.

Ed

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The law doesn't depend on your employer's policy or opinion. The law requires you comply with every law in every jurisdiction you travel through or stop in. There is only 2 ways to be legal everywhere. 1) be a cop with a badge, 2) never carry anywhere.

For once in the history of the earth truck drivers are treated exactly like any other person.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.