Is it legal to haul lumber boards unsecured in a dry van?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bobtail Bobby, Jan 15, 2020.

1. DusktillDawn

DusktillDawn Light Load Member

May 19, 2017
    Yes, i hauled a load like this from jackson, ms to el paso, tx. No securement, slammed the doors and off i went. I have also hauled tractors 10/15k lbs each out of houston in a van, secured with straps to the walls

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Long board groups (as mentioned before, and pictured) simple in a dry van. Place one end into the trailer, grab the next group and shove the two into trailer making room for next two. After the second group are set in, a heavy skip loader with a ram-rod arm with 6 ft plate on the end, pushes the 4 units as far as they can reach,, process again, usually 8 or 9 groups per load.
    To unload, regular fork lift gets an under grab and slides the group off the trailer to the platform and a second fork picks it from the side.
    Load locks are useless in the modern dry van, at the first bump. the walls flex and the load locks fall to the floor. Most every trailer is now built with strap connection rails at the seams of each pannel (both sides), But with these loads, straps are not needed, it is generally a tight fit. Most mills will put some sand on the floor for smoother sliding.
    Never had an issue with interior load securement....just make sure thereis a sealon after you close the doors. Most DOT LEO's don't want to mess with seals.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    That's true about push type load bars, which is why most vans have ladder rack type. I beg to differ on the seals, more than once I picked up a rail can with a "State Police" seal on it.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  5. Shadow dog

Shadow dog Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Gouverneur NY
    when we load at where I work its van and flatbed.
    18-19 pallets depending on product and weight.
    The vans will take 18 pallets, 2 side by side and nine deep and I have seen very few use load locks because as someone mentioned that with the flex in these newer trailers they end up on the floor anyways.
    When 19 pallets are loaded its usually 8 pallets 2 side by side then a single and then the remaining 10 loaded 2 side by side and again, no load locks.
    One the flats they are loaded the same way and secured with 2 straps across the front roll of pallets and then a single strap on the rest. Most drivers will also run 2 straps on the most rear ward roll of pallets.
    Someone mentioned using a load lock vertical. I dont know about the rest of you but I don't want to be pushing up on the thin roofing or the cross supports. Good way to punch a hole through or bend a support.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

They ship 4’ Lumber on pallets? What kinda lumber is that?

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I've done lumber exactly once. The bundles were all banded together, stacked 2 high.

Put two straps on the back in an X as I do most everything and rolled.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    There’s a place in Polson MT that makes bee boxes and they’d get 2ft 1x6 shipped in dry vans. We hauled in anything 4ft and longer on flats. They would just stack that short stuff and band it to a pallet and put it in the trailer. I’m not sure where it came out of.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    precut pieces for pallets,

kylefitzy and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. Shadow dog

Shadow dog Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Gouverneur NY
    u
    no I'm sorry i should have clarified what we load. Its bags of stone, lime stone, top soil, compost. I was just trying to show that the load in the van isn't secured by anything that it just sits there. There isn't a way to secure it. Those load bars wouldn't hold it and I'm sure if they started moving the straps wouldn't either

11. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I don’t know why it be illegal to haul lumber in a van trailer? But I’d have to use some sort of securement to keep from shifting side to side or sliding back, like load locks

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.