Is it me or has trailer prices gotten insane?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Good deal

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yeah, I was referring to what’s known as a Container chassis that semi trucks pull. They have them in longer lengths as well. Today there ocean containers well over 40’. I see 45’s, 48’s and 53’ foot containers so there are longer chassis out there to move them. Sometimes you’ll see them going through auctions like iron planet, Richie Bros, Taylor Martin etc. I’ve seen them sell for as little as $250.00. On average though, they go for around $1,000.00.

I’ve entertained buying one and basically just using most of the frame work as a base to build off of.

hope that helps.

crocky and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Yeah, they certainly have some possibilities. As much as I hate to though, I think I'm going to either have to buy a cheap 3 car for cash just so I can haul 3 cars or buy a new trailer. I'm having to pass up too many loads and with my current trailer, it's really hard to put together paying loads.

5. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Most effective cheap 3 car hauler would be a Kaufman low profile 3 car hauler. Step deck style car haulers have trouble with low vehicles.
    I like my current trailer, expensive but sturdy. If I could load low cars it would be perfect but they bottom out on the front ramp to the step deck and often scrape the bumpers getting past the loading ramps.

Was considering finding a person to modify my trailer but I think it would cost me way too much. If I can get Kaufman to customize their 50 ft low profile to a 53 tandem 10/12k axles with a 24k gvwr i would consider swapping my trailer for it.

6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yea I was gonna do one of their 3 car low wedges but then I started thinking about the equipment I often haul and sort of talked myself out of it. I'm probably just gonna go buy a cheap 3 or 4 car wedge for now so I can haul 3 cars through the winter and then better sort out my "perfect" trailer.

I hate wedges but I've seen a few on facebook marketplace in the sub $5k range I could buy and use for a bit while trying to sort out my more permanent trailer. I can just buy one of those run it for a bit and sell it later. I was trying to avoid doing that but it might be the best option.

BTW, Didn't you just have that one trailer built?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  7. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I hate wedge type trailers. Unstable at best. Be sure to have a single pivot 5th wheel and not an rv dual pivot or gooseneck for those.

Yea I've had my trailer for about 35k miles so far. Its almost perfect but it being the first of its kind that Buckeye built meant they would be guestimating.
    I sent Buckeye a pic of a custom made Kaufman that looks like a shipshe and told him thats what I want. He built the "stepdeck" too high and had to weld a 6" box between trailer and kingpin so it would sit level on my truck and the angle going to the step deck is too steep so low cars are bottoming out getting on there. The tail of the trailer is too high off the ground so some low cars are scraping their front or back bumpers while getting on the 8ft loading ramps.

To fix this i would need to break the angles on front ramp and reweld them at less of an angle, remove the 6" box between the kingpin and trailer and either install HD dexter torsion axles or find lower profile tires to drop the rear a little bit.

Buckeye said that according to their models and measurements a dodge challenger would load no problem. I tried loading a challenger and couldn't get past the loading ramps even with ramp extensions.

I specifically had this built to be able to take 3 high top sprinters and stay under 13'6" but can only put a mid roof on top deck. A high top puts me at 13'10" on top deck.

Apart from those problems trailer is sturdy as hell. No flex, no electrical problems and not a drop of oil has leaked from axles. Im in no hurry to sell or swap the trailer. I might sell the whole setup in 6-12 months and either get my dream setup or leave the business. We will see.

8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, I'm in 100% agreement on don't like wedges. I 100% do not like them for that very reason. In fact, I almost saw a guy flip one last week. He had a single-car up top nothing on the back and turned into a gas station with a downhill entrance and I swear I thought the trailer was gonna go over. I think he got the bejebus scared out of him because he stopped in an instant.. lol

Only reason I'm considering it, because I need a stop gap solution to haul at least 3 cars because this 2 car stuff is killing me. I'm making money but it's hard as hell to put together loads and that 3rd car would be the world of diffrence.

Anyway on the trailer, yeah I get what you are saying I thought it looked a bit funky when you posted pictures but I figured it was made that way to be able to squeeze in the 4th car with as short as a possible trailer.

I'm same way, I want the low step deck but I want it to work like a normal flatdeck.. That $30k trailer that was posted in my topic on (insane trailer prices) has me thinking more about the hydraulic dovetail. My thinking you could lower it part way down then use normal car ramps and load just about anything but I still want the low step-deck up front so I can load 3 cars or 2 oversize.

9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Single pivot 5th wheel will limit how much a wedge will lean with a car uptop. I can carry a 4500 lb car ontop without issue.

This is what I sent buckeye to base the build off of:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Look for one of these, if they came in a 53 ft i'd jump on it. They are cheap. can find them for about $10k and easy to resell.
    [​IMG]

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, that would be a nice setup for 3 over size trucks/vans or 4 cars.. I want similar but instead of the trailer being a continuous ramp to the front I want it flat then a step deck and I'd then use little mini ramps like a shipshe does. That way I can maximize the area for freight or run the cars. My thinking was to build custom ramps that can be locked in place so I can still use them to tie down too like if carrying the oversize upfront.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.