Is it possible to drive only 40hrs a week right out of school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ontheroadagain33, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Waste Management and other similar companies are local with good benefits. Republic Services is union here in Las Vegas/Henderson.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    It’s possible to find a gig like that after getting some experience. I run a Monday to Friday (mostly) gig with my company. Usually my 70 is around 30-40hrs by the time I get done for the week. But I only do deliveries and pick ups in the north east usually the NYC finals which to a guy with no experience or not from the area is hell on earth lol

4. ontheroadagain33

ontheroadagain33 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2023
    Denver-metro.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, decades ago, i worked for BFI doing city routes trash pick ups. actually a sweet job considering the start times, and weather conditions trying to navigate city streets with hub high snows. but more often than not at the very least 50+ hours weekly

the job i retired from, i worked (on average) of 45-50 hours a week, dedicated route. the only things that kept me from being under 45 hours was the weather as well. but then, the company hired us guys with like 20+ years of experience, as they did not want newbies, you had to show you "earned your stripes"

when dealing with high value electrical items, locked/secured/alarmed warehouses, and giving us the keys or lock codes, ya can't blame them.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  6. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    I'll guess "No opportunities through the Reserves"?
    I never served in Military.

The ONLY 40 hour week I ever did in Trucking was usually 50+ hours considering, at one local company, needing to have a onsite shop do some repairs BEFORE I split to pickup the loaded trailer (everyone drove everything). It was upwards of 60 Hours Per Week and that was through a local truck driver temp-perm type gig, which REQUIRED a minimum of 2 Years VERIFIABLE Employment.

First ever Trucking Job I had was 50 hours a week in a 6 wheel, 24' Straight Truck with Sleeper & Manual Trans and Barn Doors.
    Local to me THEN was "within a 350 mile radius of Yard".

I Hope Safe & Pleasant Journeys To Thee and Thy Loved Ones!
    CHEERS!!

tscottme and buddyd157 Thank this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Dot has added a yard in Denver. They’re pro-veteran and will ensure you make drill. They have a variety of set schedule options. However, if you’re willing to throw groceries, you can easily do a dedicated deal where you work the same schedule, every week. My buddy leaves Sunday afternoon, out of Mt Sterling, throws a load in Denver, on Tuesday morning, then, heads back to MTS and just does some kind of a single day gig, Thursday. He does ~$90K. There are driving-only deals available that might be to Mt Sterling and back, shuttling loads. You’d have to call and talk them. Ask for Dave Ferrill.

Transportation Company Jobs | Drive For DTI | Dot Transportation, Inc..

CDBD3DC3-EC3A-46FB-AE20-A86EF89FEC97.jpeg

lual and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, Post #16 is perfect for you. Various work schedules also. Great money & benefits.

ducnut Thanks this.
  9. ontheroadagain33

ontheroadagain33 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2023
    Just looked them up. They have a ton of options and seem like the carrier who I would want to work for. MUCH THANKS for posting them.

ducnut and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @ducnut posted the job. That's a company & job drivers retire from. Check it out and keep us posted.

ducnut Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You only need one job. But if you expect to work only 40 hours you are throwing away the vast majority of driving jobs. I don't understand why people go through CDL school and then afterwards set super strict requirements. You should find the job that fits you before you decide to go to CDL school. People who skydive don't wait until they are at altitude to decide if jumping out of airplanes is what they want to do. It's inherent in showing up for class before the aircraft engine starts, I would think.

The people saying they work 3 days a week and make $80-90K are liars.

bryan21384 and lual Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.