Is it possible to drive only 40hrs a week right out of school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ontheroadagain33, Mar 26, 2023.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Man this thread got juicy quickly. OP, you better respect my man @tscottme ...... he's good good knowledge about navigating the industry. It's so weird how people get so sensitive once they hear the truth. Everyone has been honest with you. I'm 14 years in, and the closest I've got to 40 hrs in a week was working for Dr. Pepper/Snapple locally in the Nashville, TN area. I would almost always burn the allotted 60 hrs weekly. Sometimes I'd get it down to 50 hrs. Honestly, I find it difficult to live a "traditional life" once you become a CDL holder. You'll have to master the art of making the most of your minutes at home. It's difficult for new drivers to get local or union jobs, as you're in competition with more seasoned drivers. It's not impossible to get the job your seeking, but unlikely. I would recommend not getting your hopes up too high and being prepared to do whatever it takes to get he life you want for the long haul (pardon the pun). Also you can't get mad because folks are being honest with you. You'll been to decide what you value most, because you can't have everything in life, CDL holder or not. In trucking, it's even more challenging to get every single thing you desire. So some food for thought.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN

People, in this case drivers, need to understand, you can't have everything you want in trucking. Gotta choose what you can live with. Now enjoy the music and let's lighten the mood! Lol

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I wonder if the Moderators would consider creating a "Safe Space" subforum....as an official "hang out" for those here who have officially (?) had their feelings hurt.

Such would give them a special reserved place to "heal".....and also, vent and/or rant.

Would probably make for some pretty entertaining reading.....:p

:biggrin_2559:

-- Lual

Coover, Gridaxe5588, JoeyJunk and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Back when I worked for Pepsi the schedule was based on 4-10’s. I was off Sat thru Monday every week. Some days you got your route done in 7 or 8 hours, some days it took 12. Just depended on how many cases you were slinging for the day. Usually got plenty of overtime in the summer. It was decent and I like the 3 day weekends but the job wasn’t going to get me to my financial goals at the time.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have seen that attitude from both sides, once as a student myself, then as an instructor.

when i was a student, my classmate went to work immediately at Old Dominion, on the docks..that lasted maybe about 2 months, then they threw his butt into a truck and said go......come back when you are done.

he recently retired from there with a nice pension

as an instructor, i had a couple of smart alecks that thought they were God's gift to trucking and would accept NO dock work, cuz they was truckers now....

neither one accepted the jobs offered going OTR, and each one got fired soon after getting work at local companies, for accidents.

so it happens, those that think they are above all others.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    LoneRanger, tscottme and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    USPS, either directly or for one of their contractors, can give you what you want. They all require experience though, AFAIK.

8. Gabbadj

Gabbadj Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2023
    40 hours might not exist but you can find an hourly gig with set schedule when you look into local straight truck delivery. Most of the beverage distribution companies around where I live offer 10-12 hour shifts with 3 day weekends.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.