Is it possible to make good money hauling containers (intermodal)?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Byrds Eye View, Sep 2, 2012.

1. DesiTrucker

DesiTrucker Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    Have you heard of QFS transport?
    Met a O/O few weeks ago and he said he goes to their yard and picks up containers and free tractor parking. Averages about $1.50 a mile.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DesiTrucker

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    Sorry for the triple post, but I called P.Judge & Sons for owner operator opportunity, still waiting for a reply from them

4. Roadawg

Roadawg Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    I grossed a little over $1700 last week in 4 days. I'm still learning the intermodal business/routine, my income to time ratio is WAAYYY off right now...lol.. but we won't talk about that..atleast not right now.

TmGM Thanks this.
  5. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    hehehe when I was running hard I could do that in 3 days! but is all about the profit you could be running hard but if your expenses are high you are killing yourself for nothing!, my main focus is pay per mile and staying out of Connecticut and its traffic!.

@desi I know a good mechanic he probably will charge you 100 or 150 dollars for him to check it out if is worth buying, he deals with a lot of the trash haulers trucks so he know a thing or 2 about beat up trucks, about QFS transport I cant talk about them because they do ports and I have absolutely no patience for the ports 1.5 a mile for ports its ok but not good money unless is long distance like Springfield ma, buffalo,ny, new Hampshire, Boston etc, member you are going to spend a lot of time looking for a good chassis then going into the port roadone used to post their rates but I cant find them anymore but they were I think like 250 or 300 from the port to Carlstadt. I go to ironbound yard once in awhile to pickup empty boxes to preset it for the guys that pick up paper and recycling and I can honestly tell you I will not touch ports even if that's the only work available. csx is in deep need of drivers, I went there today and they had a recruiter at the gate.

TmGM Thanks this.
  6. DesiTrucker

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    If you don't mind PM me the mechanic number, that would be great.
    Isn't csx e-logbooks?
    Let me get this correct: containers=ports
    Intermodal=rail

My biggest expenses are going to be fuel. Truck payments around 560/month and insurance 500/month(approximate)

7. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    If the ask for twic card is ports you don't need twic card for rails, csx is elogs... I'm going to ask my mechanic if is ok for you to call him first. Insurance unless you have a bad record it should be under 500

8. DesiTrucker

Apr 11, 2013
    Nj
    Sure sure. Keep me posted.
    I hope the insurance is under 500. Is the insurance based on driving experience as well. I have been trucking for about 5 months now

9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    You might be light on experience.

10. Roadawg

Roadawg Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Sure. I'm a newbie to TT driving and jockeying a trailer in tight spots with a long wheelbase 25 year old truck that doesn't turn sharp kinda makes things slow... But I'll overcome. I learn something new everyday.. I run out of NS-Harrisburg. I'll be netting that $2k in no time.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I used to drive for Pacer. When a box didn't ground, most of the time they had another for me to take to the same receiver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.