Is it possible to make good money hauling containers (intermodal)?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Byrds Eye View, Sep 2, 2012.

1. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Birds Eye View if he is saying it,s possible to make 1,600 a week, that,s the top pay then. Not so good either. I hit 16 railyards in Chicago as a co. driver, most loads where to Wi. I did that for a couple years or so, and learned the trade. There,s alot of hub group loads, that Comrak-same co., doesn,t have the drivers to cover. So other co.s pull the hub group loads, some heavier loads 42-44k pay 625 to 675 Green Bay to Chicago, plus fsc. A 625 load at 199 miles is 3.14 a mile. That,s prob. one of the higher paying loads tho. The intermodal loads are loaded front to back and to the sealing, paper roll loads can be shifted,fyi. Some streets in Chicago have deep potholes, and some railyards have alot of potholes,your moving at a slow speed, not as bad as going 65 and hitting a pothole, still not the best thing for a truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    My truck does not move anything for less than $700. Just not worth the paperwork or time it takes to hassle with it. Everybody should have a minimum rate no matter if it is crossdocking a trailer on the same yard.

TokyoJones and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. lorha1159

lorha1159 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    virginia beach,Va
    By the time you take maint. money and taxes outta that 1600 there really isnt all that much left.Also to think about is being the can (port or rail) has to come back your DH is 50%. Awsome number. As for home time I mean yeah im home everynight but most days when im in the truck burning every bit of my 14 im home long enough to eat shower and hit the bed. Home yes, but as far as the quality of the home time not so great. Not much longer and i hope to be away from these cans.

5. diesel dawg

diesel dawg Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2009
    WALNUT RIDGE, AR
    I pull cans out of Memphis and average about 1.30 a mile all miles on stuff running out of town. Do alot better running around town because there is very little deadhead. I can do mostly drop and hook but u really have to bust u'er butt. i net between 1200-1700 after all deductions except truck payment. the high end of that usely requires running on Saturday as well.

6. krebs11

krebs11 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I know a few people that are making anywhere from 2800-3500 a week before expenses hauling containers out of the rail yards

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    TmGM and alien4fish Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That might be an ok guideline for power only. I tend to think it would cost any operation a lot of lucrative freight though. Most of my bread and butter freight is $500 loads. Some more, some less. Situational dependant. One day of a single load like that is aggravating but not a loser. It only becomes a loser when every day is like that. One has to hustle in shorthaul. As for container work if $3.14 is a higher paying outbound, with little to no chance of a reload back, then it doesn't matter that's lose, lose all around.

alien4fish Thanks this.
  8. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    well im doing intermodal in the northeast rails only i was doing my math i run from jersey city,nj to plainfield ct, twice a day drop and hooks and i take 450 a day after tolls, fuel and maintenance funds for the truck, is not as good but i still sleep on my own bed every night

MarkH129 and TmGM Thank this.
  9. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    I work for Comtrak out of Chicago McCook yard, my average pay a week 2,600 to 3,100 depending on insurance you sign up for.

I'm home three days out of the week sometimes four.

I do all their long hauls, and all the mistakes and wrong router boxes.

home depot is one of there accounts 4stops 50.00 a stop plus 598 miles loads under 15k. You do the math.

10. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If my math is correct that figures out to around $1.70/mile. Not bad money for drop and hook container work. Do you run back to Jersey empty?

11. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    Pays $.90 a mile here and the running gears under them look like a real magnet for a DOT inspection too !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.