Is it possible to make good money hauling containers (intermodal)?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Byrds Eye View, Sep 2, 2012.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    wat do u guys do. bcz i feel like nothing beats container rates. show me a dry van place that gets u home in chicago that pays more.

MrReactor, Bean Jr. and konfidential Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    Come to the chemical side!!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Shawn19

Shawn19 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Not from what i see too many truckers that why rate are so low you better off working for a company then running your truck but that the way i see it.

5. nkytrucker

nkytrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Well, I did it anyway. And, quite frankly, I'd never work for another company as a driver again. I left driving a heavy wrecker for this, so I have a pretty high standard of autonomy and income requirements. The best paid local drivers in the area make about half what I'm used to bringing in, and I've managed to match, if not beat, that pulling cans. Not tooting my own horn, either. There's quite a few making more than me. I'm learning real quick that in local drayage, it's about work ethic and hustle. If you want to come in a 8, work till 5, and stand around the rails jawing with other drivers, work for someone else. If you've got drive, though, buy a truck, lease on, and cash out.

Andre_K Thanks this.
  6. Shawn19

Apr 20, 2019
    Well that's great i hope you are right i drove along with a driver today to see what it like pay wise i don't see it i can't run my own rig for that kind of money

7. nkytrucker

nkytrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2017
    I'm leased on, so no liability insurance or authority, no sales/credit risk/slow pay, and I'm grossing around 3k/wk. After fuel, around 2200 or so. Not bad considering I'm home every day by 5 pm at the latest, usually around 3, and off on weekends.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Shawn19

Apr 20, 2019
    That actually pretty good 2200 after fuel an local around here it about $200 to $300 a day after fuel i can't run my rig for that but there alot guys here running there rig for nothing.

9. Mailman85

Mailman85 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2020

10. Mailman85

Mailman85 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2020
    I'm thinking about buying a truck and running the rails in Chicago ive worked the rails before but as a company driver do you think I'd be a good move here? Not trying to get rich just a decent living and a decent tractor unit

11. Mailman85

Mailman85 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2020

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.