Is it scary when you are driving in Colorado?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lupe, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    Don't worry about the fall from the cliff. The elk will shoot you on your way down.

Lilbit, rocknroll nik, Wedge and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    I have herd :)biggrin_25523:) that they gave up eating raw meat and are into BBQ now:biggrin_2556:

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Its true! The Grizzl'd bears n' mountin' lions are BBQ'n drivers crawlin' outta da flamin' wrecks now!

:biggrin_2556:

rocknroll nik and Lilbit Thank this.
  5. eddennis1

eddennis1 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2010
    quanah, tx
    i enjoy driving hwy 550 from montrose to durango at night with 49000 on the bed, such an adventure

6. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    Yes there are mountains where a series of mistakes can send you over a ledge, but you don't have to worry it will be like a roller coaster until you hit the ground and you won't remember that far..

Colorado is a breeze outside of hwy 6 it sucks. Wolf Creek Pass will scare the crap out of you the first time you come up on those 2 hair pins or switchbacks whatever you want to call um. 149 between South Fork and Gunnison has 3 pretty nice hard passes that can be tricky to a nooby.. 550 out of Silverton to Ouray has Red Mountain which last time I was on it you drove 2 foot from the edge (at 25 mph speed limit though) and 50 between Pueblo and Montrose can be fun in the snow.. 70 and 25 are a breeze if you have to get off the beating path take your time enjoy the mountain air and don't overuse your brakes.

The worst state in my opinion is Northern Idaho Lookout scares the ####e out of me. I remember that mountain as a kid going with my old man in a 1975 White Freightliner back then you were literally 5 inches from a 10000 feet drop straight down. If I have to go through there to this day with 15 years on the road I still get a pucker factor of 10 and its the only time I have ever caught myself turning my knuckles white, but I think that is all from those times I went over that hill with my old man and looking down.

lupe Thanks this.
  7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co

Come to think of it, I did once fall off a mtn. side in my pickup while off-roading. Well, actually, the pickup didn't fall off the mtn. side, it was more me that fell off the mtn. side.

Well, first I fell off the wagon, of course the wagon was parked on the side of a hill, well, actually, it wasn't a hill, it was more of dirt mound, well, I guess more of a ant hill, but hey when you fall off the wagon, anything can feel like your falling off a mtn. :biggrin_2559:

My friends were all armed to the teeth though to protect me from the roaming Elk Gangs who might have tried to hurt me when I fell. But, I'm not sure how much they would have protected me, I mean most of them fell off the wagon and the ant hill when they came to see where I fell.

Jarhed1964, Texas-Nana and Hitman Thank this.
  8. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

Ummmm.... I can definitely tell you've FALLEN OFF THE WAGON! :yes2557:

:biggrin_255:

striker and Injun Thank this.
  9. lupe

lupe Medium Load Member

Thank you for this info.

What is the fatality rate of truckers from falling off cliffs, compared to collisions on the road?

10. bulldozerbert

bulldozerbert Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    I am not sure, but I would think it is a lot less from falling off cliffs.

I bet a lot more get killed on "regular" roads.

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    100%.

Its not the fall that kills ya, its the sudden stop at the bottom! :biggrin_25517:

bulldozerbert and Texas-Nana Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.