Is it still okay for kids to arm pump?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by AlligatorHugs, Sep 13, 2019.

1. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    I was in Ohio on a State Rd close to PA winding and twisting through the countryside and saw something coming towards me from about a third of a mile away.

It wasn't a car, It wasn't a truck or any farm equipment.

As it got closer I realized it was an Amish horse and buggy with two male occupants that were decked out in the traditional Amish garb including the hats.

As I got closer yet I noticed that one had a beard and the other male did not.

As I got closer yet (down to about 30 miles per hr) I could see that the driver was probably in his twenties and the passenger was maybe ten years old.

As we were finally crossing paths the young kid gave me the arm pump.

That kind of caught me off guard, and at that moment I realized that Amish garb or not that the kid was just like any other kid.

Did I blast the horn per his request?

No, I did not because I didn't want to freak out the horses.

That's a cute little experience that's burned in my head that I'll never forget. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You should have honked, those amish horses are used to it, and the father would not have let him do it if it would have spooked.
    I am like you though and tend to not honk around horses, a lesson I got when I was a teen age driver. I honked at a nice looking gal, that just happened to be riding a horse down the side of the road, and the rodeo was on. I didn't stop, but I am sure she had a few not so nice ranch type words for me. lol
    I was young and dumb, but not so dumb to ever do that again, it was easy to see the potential to see how it could have been bad if there would have been any traffic.

x1Heavy, homeskillet and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  4. Patriot_Bearing_Supply

Patriot_Bearing_Supply Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2019
    Cleveland Ohio area
    I grew up next to the Ohio turnpike, and we would stop on the bridge walking home and do the "arm pump". Most didn't, a few did. After a few toots we kept walking home. I don't think it's a problem, but in todays litigious society, I think people are less likely to blow an air horn.

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    California just outlawed it.

6. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    Always reminds me of riding with my dad in his '78 4070 Transtar II. Getting back close to home and passing houses of kids my age running out towards the road arm pumping, the smiles on their faces when the old man obliged. Would send a feeling of pride through me that is why I still love trucks to this day. Kudos to the OP for allowing his daughter to enjoy this simple pleasure.

OldeSkool and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    ..and my 15 year old daughter still gets the giggles when she hears me give her a toot she can hear through the Blue Tiger.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    CA better watch it. Or they will be outlawed themselves...

rachi, OldeSkool and Coffey Thank this.
  9. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I've had just as many adults do it too. must of grown up doing it.

10. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    If it’s safe heck yeah, I won’t even mind if I get a noise ordinance ticket.
    Not safe? Sorry I can’t.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And that would be about the 10 million and third reason why California sucks.

Accidental Trucker, rachi and Rocks Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.