Is it stupid to get a CDL at age 18, 19, or 20?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zan1995, May 24, 2022.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    It is not foolish to get licensed now, as there are still opportunities for young drivers. In addition, there are murmurs throughout the industry about possibly lowering the interstate age. Some say its a mistake, but for those who aren't college-bound, there are dozens of trades willing to accept a high school grad, train him (apprenticeship), pay him, and by the time he's old enough to go interstate trucking, he's already well on his way to Journeyman status. That's a LOT of interested, otherwise eligible talent being pushed aside and lost forever.

In our company's case, interstate is, of course, 21. We have several local positions, but most of them are highly sought-after and have regional drivers on a waiting list to fulfill the roles. One position, however, is perpetually shorthanded: the Yard Spotter drivers. Because of this, and the fact they rarely leave the customer's property, we hire any age for the role. I hired an 18 y/o girl last fall to drive a spotter truck for us. That's her primary role, and we have also trained her to run a shag truck (moves trailers around town) when needed. As soon as she's 21, she'll be primed and ready to run the system, as well as already having built up 3 years' worth of experience and her 401(k) with us. Compare that to a standard 21 y/o just finishing school who now has to look at the megas to be treated like dirt for the first year out on the road...

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Right after the government complained about the shortage of truck drivers . Then they pass a law making it harder obtain a class a ... if that doesn't sum up the government idk what does lol

TravR1, meechyaboy and rbrtwbstr Thank this.
  4. Zan1995

Zan1995 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2022
    It's called "Entry-Level Driver Training" and it started on 02/07/2022. It applies to everyone getting a CDL Class A or B, or if you're applying for a Hazmat, Passenger, and/or School Bus endorsement. I personally got my CLP before it began just so I wouldn't have to complete ELDT (it doesn't apply to everyone who got their permits before Feb 7). I heard it makes it a lot harder to get a CDL now.

5. Zan1995

Zan1995 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2022
    They were likely sniffing coke when they came up with this? Idk.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Zan1995

Zan1995 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2022
    1. I got my CDL now. I asked this because I thought about canceling my CDL skills test and doing it when I'm 21 but I chose to take it anyway and turns out I passed.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You have a cdl now?

8. Zan1995

Zan1995 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2022
    Yeah, yesterday. This post was made 2 days ago when I thought about skipping the CDL road test.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good, you're ready to roll then. Start some applications. You'll have a job on your 21st birthday.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some CDL-B otr jobs.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    To be fair, it was written into law several years ago, and got pushed back several times.
    Still, could have pushed it back again.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.