Is it too much to expect your home time to be an actual day off?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CAPTransport, Oct 25, 2021.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Get a second wife for leisure in a different city.

Pamela1990, mjd4277, MIT and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Lol

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    If you get that little of home time then demand enough wages to have people take care of those chores for you. Then, enjoy each other when you are home.

5. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    So if getting married at 56 is getting married a "little late in life", in your opinion what age is considered getting married "late in life "? Lol :D

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha

7. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Typical of the forum to bash the OP in a thread like this, lol.

OP left out details (not that he needs to share them). But, it says in OP's profile that he's 27 years old. Who is to say that he has kids (he didn't mention them)? If he doesn't have kids, does his wife work or is she a stay at home wife?

To the OP no it's not too much to ask to want a day or two where you do absolutely nothing after working a month straight. Also, it's a drivers market so look around at different companies that give you a better work life balance (unless you enjoy getting 4 days off per month, which is fine some people don't mind). There are OTR companies that will give you more hometime than that. And local usually gets you off on the weekend although if they're working you 60 - 70 hours in 5 days you WILL need 1 day to do absolutely nothing and the wife will have to get over it (I burned out in several months pulling those hours week in and week out in a 5 day period).

Also OTR can be hard on a marriage, you might want to consider local.

8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Anyone older than me, I guess!!!

Boondock and BeHereNow97 Thank this.
  9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Best answer

10. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Downtime in truck is me time; since I enjoy driving, I currently view my time out as a paid vacation. Going home is when the real work starts, I have 6 days to bust my ### around the house and yard and then one day to sleep…

10hrs of driving or 12-14hrs of home projects a day, which do you consider to be “work?” I do make time to just vegetate with family, friends, and pets. As I’ve gotten older, I’m more appreciative of just sitting with them.

11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Get a different job. Trucking is an industry that likes to screw the driver every chance it gets.

I go home to my gf and do the things that need done the first day I get in. After that it's comfort time. Eventually I'll have a day job and won't even spit on the ground of s truck stop parking lot.

Get a local job or find something you're not away from home that much. If you value the relationship that is.

I have no trouble admitting if I was single at this point I'd be a bum doing nothing and working at a gas station. Atleast for a little while

Badmon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.