Is it worth buying a used 2013+ truck? Is it true there all lemons ? HELP

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PSDHILLON, Jun 9, 2018.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes I could be off a year.

KB3MMX and mhyn Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I just in framed my 2008 CM-871, those anti carbon rings came with the in frame kit. I have them too...

KB3MMX and mhyn Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I don't know how many miles 250 hours is, that is more than likely his issue. Should be changing around that 15,000 mile mark, 18,000 at most. And then idling, bad for these motors, especially a PTO. I would have him contact Mr Hagg down in Atlanta, he has experience repairing these issues, carbon packing and the chewed up cam, so that they do not happen again. Haggai Automotive and Diesel, he is located in Griffin GA, look him up.

What brand oil, most of us use straight old Rotella. The synthetics are to thin, not adequate enough to keep the top end lubricated. Many of us throw in a gallon of Ste-Lube Gear oil, it sticks to all of those parts, and has many of the additives that have been stripped out of these new motor oils. Stay away from Lucas.

mhyn and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    How heavy is their gross weight with those runs?

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    About 8,500 miles in our line of work. But we pull 140,000 lbs so it is considered severe duty.

7. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Some smart people nowadays say that oil changes should be done when you burn so much fuel, regardless of miles or hours. It makes sense to me.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I did not know in frame kit for CM871 has anti carbon rings. Looks like Cummins has updated all liners for ISX engines. Good info. Thanks.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    They are there...

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Your up in Canada aren’t you?

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Synthetic "too thin" ? come on now! That's not how viscosity ratings work. That's old wives tales of the 1990s that really need to stop. Most people that know anything about oil these days know that's just plain false.

Synthetic oil holds it's advertised viscosity better than conventional Dino oil in every test.

Anyway,
    The biggest problem with the top end cam issue on ISX is LACK OF FLOW......

Bottom end issues are from the garbage original design of the ISX , where they later added the critical carbon scraping ring.

Top end oil issues are most often caused caused by the "old school" guys running 15w-40 and often putting in additives (Like LUCAS....or GEAR OIL)that make the oil even thicker and add Emissions toxic additives. (Bad) On top of long PM intervals.
    A real recipe for Failure!

"Thinking" they were doing something good with a higher oil psi... but yet the engine gets starved of oil flow(VERY BAD)..... We've seen the end result time and time again but they don't learn.

✓ Pressure is RESISTANCE to flow, NOT A GOOD THING!!...

10-30 is what came in your modern emissions engine and has the proper top end flow..even loaded with soot(a viscosity increaser).

Semi-Synthetic 10-30 or Full synthetic 5-30 gives even more protection with FAR better cold flow. (70-80% of engine wear comes from startup waiting for oil flow) and resistance to breakdown under high heat load from the emissions systems.

And then we have FA-4.... Which will be the next generation of oils, even "thinner". At some point you're going to see new engine warranties becoming voided from people using 15w-40 once FA-4 becomes the standard. This is still several years away.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Derailed and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.