Is it worth is to become a diesel mechanic still?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jbrow327, Apr 11, 2021.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    We had a great little shop at the 50 truck Milk hauling facility I worked at .

Every mechanic in there was a pissed off hard headed hating life kind of guy.

I worked in the body shop for a year at a Pontiac dealership 38 years ago .

i know me and the head painter were making bank so we were happy and smiling . Others in the body shop doing body work not so much.

But they were still not as unpleasant as the mechanics doing warranty work .

Number one reason I would never get a brand new vehicle and risk it having to go into the shop to have some underpaid mechanic rip into it to find a mystery problem. .

Where do you live ?

My next profession is going to be a boat surveyor , $5000 course to get accredited for insurance and a couple years to build the business.

Boats are selling like Hot Apple pie at the fair. Every 4 years or any sale they need a $20 a foot inspection/survey.

Look into it. If you have more questions PM me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    My next business is tuck-pointing. Unlimited bricks around here and half of them look like arse! Tiny start up cost and craigslist ad and bam!

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    There is a HUGE shortage of workers for any repair vocation, dealers simply can't find qualified people. Trucks, in their current makeup, ( not these flaky electric jobs) will be around for years to come, and a better job, I doubt you'll find. Today, I think there's very little self diagnosis, and are basically, a "parts replacer", and modern shops have all the gear to make repairs a snap. No more balancing transmissions or rear axle carriers on your chest. It's one of the few aspects of trucking today I say, go for it.

5. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Also don’t forget about the industrial side and or heavy equipment. Always a need for heavy equipment mechanics. But you better be ready to be well rounded, hydraulics, electrical, welding, as well as engines, different types of transmissions.
    Lots of specialty tools and lots of money for the tools. But you can make good money. If you go that route after a few years of rebuilding hydraulics, electrical diag. Go on a service truck hours will be long and you will be sore and tired but the $$$$$$$ is often really good. Especially when on a Saturday night a dozer blows a hydraulic motor and has to be up by Sunday morning. $$$$$$$$$$$. All the way to the bank. Just food for thought
    But as mentioned before don’t do it on a whim. Like any career it takes time and patience to gain the skills needed to be good at your chosen craft. Some have it some don’t. Same as driving a truck.

bzinger and 201 Thank this.
  6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Youve got a better easier path to 100k home every night?

As you are, i dont want you near my truck, "i want the easiest thing i can do" go answer phones if lifyifting a receiver wont strain your arm

Absolutely no one that's good at their job got at that way only doing things that were easy

kemosabi49 and bzinger Thank this.
  7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I dont know about easily........

Some would say its only tad bit harder than driving? TIC

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Yeah that was poorly worded. I meant not working 14 hour days and for week/s away from home and your family at a time.

Around here good mechanics are looked at as the super hot girl in high school that everyone wanted to know and take to prom. lol

spsauerland and Goodysnap Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Get a taste of heavy equipment and you'll never want to touch a truck ever again lol.

10. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Nothing like repacking a cylinder on the back of your service in the snow with a ####ing gland nut seized

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I grew up fixing trucks and spent my first year as a mechanic on trucks. Got that first taste of heavy equipment and haven't touched a truck since.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.