Is it worth is to become a diesel mechanic still?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jbrow327, Apr 11, 2021.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Always opportunities for OT on top of that too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Just a couple things I would add.

I would say really understand the operation a mechanical engine. Not that you're going to see mechanical engines all the time, but you don't want to be one of those guys that stands there with his laptop and his plug and when he doesn't see anywhere to plug it into he doesn't know what to do.

If you really truly want to learn the trade find a reputable shop that has really old guys in it and see if you can get them to teach you. You probably are going to have to take the trash out and sweep the floors and prove to them that you truly want to learn but if you do what you learn from those guys will be the best education you will ever get in your life.

If you really are concerned with the physicality of it then maybe you should become like the other person said the motorcycle mechanic or lawn mowers or something less heavy.

Or just find something else that suits you better.

What is it that you like about mechanics that you're considering it?

okiedokie and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    I like anything and everything about engines and vehicles in general. I've heard mechanics say nothing ruins their love for vehicles faster than having to fix vehicles every day.

5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Have you ever thought about working in a machine shop?

That is really technical work and I don't think there's a lot of bull work involved with that.

A skilled Machinist can really make a good amount of money.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  6. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    I have not. It sounds interesting. I heard if you go that route you should be a CNC machinist, not a manual machinist. Correct?

okiedokie Thanks this.
  7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    That I do not know. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that.

But to be clear I'm talking about working in a machine shop where you resleeve engines and you cut cylinder block decks and do line boring and valve jobs and that type of thing.

All mechanics know what a machine shop does, but most mechanics have almost no experience actually doing that type of technical work.

Mechanics do the actual physical repair but when it's time, they send it right to the machine shop to get the block or the crank magnafluxed or whatever they need.

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    And depending on where you reside good machine shops are getting harder to find. Most of the great ones were small family owned shops and the owners are retiring or passing away and there are no youngsters to carry on with it.

spsauerland and Dino soar Thank this.
  9. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Looking back its really sad how few apprentices I worked with.
    That is why there is a shortage of skilled trades today.

SmallPackage, Dino soar and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its true. I haven't been at this as long as you have (few years over a decade so far). As an apprentice I rarely got an opportunity to work with a Journeyman. Sure they were around and willing to help but for the most part us apprentices were just thrown to the fire and told to get it done. I put the blame for that on the shop's shoulders. If there's a shortage of skilled tradespeople, employers should start investing in the new folks coming on board.

Goodysnap and Dino soar Thank this.
  11. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Maybe you didn't prep to be an apprentice. Before I got hired for a 1st 6 month apprenticeship I had 2 years mechanics in High school and 2 years in diesel engines at a technical school...to become a Journeyman mechanic you had to complete 3 years as a apprentice ....
    Tests and all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.