is it worth the switch?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Despawned, Feb 8, 2020.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Go home. Stay local. The money is better.

For those that don't believe hourly and overtime exist. You just keep believing that.

For the rest of us. OVERTIME BA BEEEEE.
    I did it for 12 years. And I didn't know anything about the hourly pay when I started.

I'll give y'all a heads up though.
    Local that also run otr. Are supposedly exempt from overtime. So is agriculture. I've never worked so I don't know if it's true. And I have no plans to see if it's true either.

meechyaboy and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Just make sure you really will be hired. If you passed the interview and the driving test, then it’s safe to say that you’re hired. Also make sure you got some money saved up because sometimes things don’t turn out as planned.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If you want a “good” local job, you have to do your homework. The best advice I can give you is speak to actual drivers in the local companies you plan to work for. Do not trust what’s posted online because sometimes it’s outdated or doesn’t apply to the local company in a particular state or city. So drive around your city and speak to drivers in US Foods, Sysco, Core Mark, etc. You gotta be quick, though, because they’re on a schedule. How much is the starting hourly pay? Is overtime allowed? If so, how many hours? 60? Does the company pay for health insurance? Is it a good company, or are drivers leaving left and right?

The other point you should consider is that overtime isn’t always as great for your personal life. When I was a local driver, I discovered that 55 hours per week was just about right for me. I clocked in higher than that, and frankly I felt just like an OTR driver because I had almost no time for myself and was always rushing everywhere like driving home, grocery shopping, and so on.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    When they send you out for a piss test. You know you got the job.

88228822 and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I was going to mention that, but you would have to be a fool to be looking for jobs when you’re not sure if you can pass a physical and alcohol/drug tests.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
  8. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Aww man I try to tell people about the overtime it’s crazy. And the work isn’t hard. But maybe I’m tripping haha

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Honoring one's commitments isn't a really popular thing in the take the easy way out world is it?

Doealex Thanks this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Either way he keeps his commitment.
    Stay at current job 4 more months or leave and pay $2,700.00.
    Seems both fulfill his contract.
    Why else would the company put the option in the contract? They must expect some drivers want to move on before the year is up.

Op, not keeping his commitment would leave current job and not pay the $2,700.00

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    OP curious what you decided.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.