Is Klonipin a banned drug for CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Eagle66, Aug 27, 2010.

1. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Yes, and if one does show positive for a prescribed medication (Verified by the prescribing physician to the driver who relays it to the MRO) the MRO records it as a negative. Even tough a negative is recorded by the MRO, the MRO is under no obligation to accept the prescribing physicians opinion and can refuse to certify the driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Where you from Coonass? I grew up in S. Louisiana, even used to be one of the Louisiana boys in blue chasing trucks down the hwy..

4. sunny123

sunny123 Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Largo Fl
    I think your fine. I have my CDLB from 2000-2007 and never had a problem. Tested every year and randomly. Less said better.

5. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    I live around Duson, just north of exit 92 by Studabakers Truck Stop.

6. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    When asking questions about medications, a board isn't the best place to get a straight answer.
    Speak with any company you are considering, about your concerns. While many drugs are 'legal' to drive with, many companies have their own requirements, often due to insurance constraints.
    Regulations change often.
    A 'dirty' drug screen simply means you tested positive for a drug not prescribed to you. I take Naproxen (anti inflamatory). When I test, I show positive, but since it is prescribed by my doctor and approved by my company, I am clean.
    If someone else without a prescription had it turn up in their screen at my company, they would be 'dirty' and subject to dismissal and note on their DAC for a 'Postive Drug Test'. Not something you ever want.
    As for Klonopin? My brother took it for four years while driving for Schnieder. No problem. That was eight years ago. It would not be approved with the company I drive for now.

HotH2o Thanks this.
  7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    WTH ??? Who do you drive for? And where do you live ?

Naproxen is OTC. I take it occasionally.

You must be taking a huge dosage prescribed for you by the Doc.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I take it as well and it is not something that is triggered. Never been on any of my tests.

9. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I take 500mg twice a day. Been doing that for years. Didn't know it was OTC now. Didn't use to be. Only costs me $10 per month under my prescription plan.
    I have some calcification of a couple vertabrae in my neck as a result of a head on back in 74. Works great.

10. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    My oldest son still lives in Lafayette, all the rest of us have moved away. Daughter in Austin, TX and the rest of us in Mississippi (Exept my dad who lives north of Baton Rouge). My middle son wants to move back to S. Louisiana.

Best Regards

11. box truck willie

box truck willie Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Yeah, but I only drive a 30ft non-CDL box truck for a clothing donation company. I told them at the DOT test that I was prescribed to them before I tested. They made me go get a note from my shrink (as someone mentioned above). Lucky I have been on them for 12years, and have barely had an increase in dosage. The shrink gave me hell, but signed anyway. I don't think this would happen if I was looking for a big truck job with a major company. I was all set to go to school to get a CDL, but after doing research about it for a few hours today I can see it will not happen. I seriously doubt I would get hired to drive an 18 wheeler by anyone that pays well. So, there goes those dreams out the window. I seriously don't understand what the big deal is. As long as they are not abused a driver will not just fall out at the wheel from them. People get tierd because people get tierd. Drivers fall asleep at the wheel because the won't pull over IMO. I'm out in the box truck for 12 hrs sometimes and I don't fall out at the wheel. A couple times I was getting sleepy, so I slept by a donation box for an hour.... woke up and finished the route like anyone behind the wheel of anything should do. They act like I'm some drug addict or something. Cold meds will be next I guess.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.