Is Klonipin a banned drug for CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Eagle66, Aug 27, 2010.

1. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    No one should be allowed to drive a tractor trailer while on klonopin. That #### is ####ed up. My ex started taking that amongst a ####tail of other benzos. She's no longer with us (overdose).

She got me to try one a while back and talk about a complete mind#### lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Retired2015

Retired2015 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Yea I had a cousin ODed on mixing drugs. He always said he could handle it.

4. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Shouldn't it be "no one should be allowed to drive a tractor trailer while under the influence of klonopin?"

As long as someone is not under the influence of klonopin while driving, what's the big deal?

5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    At one point I was taking 2 mg 4 times a day. The only time I had a any effect is if I missed a dose. I am down to 6 mg a day and working with my dr to keep lowering it slowly.

6. IronWeasel80

IronWeasel80 Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Belen, NM
    DOT only requires a urinalysis (UA) but companies are free to request a follicle test for in-house purposes.

As for the pain pills; anything that has a high chance of addiction, like opiate / opioid based medication, are typically listed as a Schedule 1 Drug. Stuff like naproxen sodium (Aleve) or ibuprofen isn't listed at all.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I was told we would be hair tested so I grew my hair out. Anyways it was a UA and I asked them about hair and they said in certain circumstances they would. Not sure what those are.

8. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    When I said "while using" I consider that "under the influence".

alghazi Thanks this.
  9. Br.549

Br.549 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2020
    Just came out of a company sponsored DOT (Stevens Transport) and Klonopin is in fact banned due to the withdrawals of the drug. MY prescribing doc will write to the ME saying it is safe for me to take it, but it is up to the ME and company’s insurance/ Safety whether or not you get your medical card.

10. Br.549

Br.549 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2020
    In a short answer, yes. I had a medical card from my private doc with the prescribing doc writing me off saying it’s safe to drive, but when I got down to the CDL Academy, the company I am potentially going send their own ME out to do their own physical. He denied my medical card due to taking Klonpin because it’s in the benzo family, and banned per the FCMSA MEP Panel. Here is a quote from If You Take These Medications, You Might Not Get A CDL

A 2009 FMCSA Medical report states:

It is the opinion of the MEP that all individuals with a history of the following psychiatric disorders should undergo additional medical and psychiatric evaluation to further assess functional ability before being considered qualified to drive a CMV:

• Psychotic Disorders
    • Bipolar Disorders
    • Major Depressive Disorder with a history of psychosis, suicidal ideation, homicidal ideation or a suicide attempt
    • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
    • Antisocial Personality Disorder
    The MEP believes that all individuals currently taking benzodiazepines or similar drugs which act on benzodiazepine receptors should be immediately prohibited from driving a CMV.

Individuals who take benzodiazepines for any length of time should not be allowed to drive until the drug has been cleared from their system (i.e., within seven half-lives of the drug and any active metabolites). Chronic users of benzodiazepines (i.e., regular use for more than a month) should also wait an additional week after the drug has cleared from their system before resuming driving to ensure that the drug has been completely eliminated. It is also suggested that FMCSA provide information regarding the half-life and seven half-lives of benzodiazepines and active metabolites to medical examiners for use at the time of examination.

Given the functional impairments and increased crash risk associated with benzodiazepine use, the MEP believes that:

• individuals currently taking benzodiazepines not be allowed to drive a CMV
    • individuals who are taking benzodiazepines should stop taking them long enough ahead of driving for them to be cleared from their systems before being allowed to drive a CMV (it takes seven half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from the body)
    • chronic users of benzodiazepines should wait an additional week after the drug has been cleared from the body (i.e., seven half lives plus one week) before driving a CMV to ensure that it has been completely eliminated.
    The MEP is of the opinion that all individuals currently taking lithium be excluded from driving a CMV at night.”

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is an old thread, but your answer is wrong. This drug is not prohibited. Look at the text of your post I quoted. That word, opinion is used. I also share that opinion. THIS LINK is to date the final rules on what is prohibited and what is not. Benzo's are not tested in the drug-testing program as required by part 40. What you posted was guidance from the FMCSA to the examiners on how to do this. Don't get me wrong. I never liked sharing the road with a driver zonked out of medications or alcohol. The same can be said for drivers that are texting. The thing is benzos are NOT prohibited. I retired in 2012. I take THIS medication as needed for seizure control because I have epilepsy. As with any medication used to control seizures, it is expressly prohibited.

There is a world of difference between prohibited and not advised. Klonipin is NOT prohibited, however, the FMCSA is of the OPINION it is not to be used and they have advised against a medical examiner approving its use. Again that link I posted is the substances that are expressly prohibited (banned). I want to stress this again for clarity. I don't want drivers taking benzos. The FMCSA has advised NOT allowing drivers to operate a CMV with them in their bodies. One further thing. That article says CDL. For the purposes of that medical card, a CMV is ANY commercial vehicle over 10,000 rated weight, a vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers and a vehicle with a reportable amount of hazmat. This benzo thing is for more then CDLs.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.