is leasing really a way to go

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Tama Mai Hawaii Nei, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I seen a lot of companies offering lease purchase and most only pay .90 something cents. After paying fuel, truck payment QUALCOMM fee's the average bring home is between 800-1100 a week. Is it really worth the added headache. I make 1200 bring home as a company driver and home on weekends and it seems to even make the 800-1100 as a lease operator you have to stay out 3-4 weeks at a time. So is leasing really the way to go

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Are you putting away money for the eventual repairs, tires, oil changes, major repairs, as a lease operator and still take 800-1100 home? Maybe try to figure out roughly how many miles it will take until the truck will be paid off. At that point, what condition do you think the truck will be in? Will the kind of work you are doing maybe allow it to go for a few more years where you don't have a truck payment and can put more money away? The company you are leased to - will they allow you to run a then old truck, or do they demand you move into a new one and start all over?

To me the only way a lease purchase actually works is if you end up getting very lucky with a truck that won't crucify you in repairs and operating costs, and also you have a company that will give you the work they say they will through the total length of the lease. You would be further ahead to get your own financing from a bank and buy a truck yourself, so at least if things go sideways at one company you can move to another. If the bank will not lend you the money, perhaps you should seriously consider staying a company driver and rebuilding your credit and piling up cash.

4. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    That's what I was thinking. I was looking and comparing what companies pay and it really seems like a lease purchase driver is bringing home less then a company driver. Especially when you include what you mentioned above. This deal seems not to benefit nobody but the trucking company. They pay you .90 or what ever plus fsc and they are making .60 to 1.00 off you and are not responsible for no expense. I have a hard time understanding why drivers do this or why drivers with no experience go to a company like Cr England who push this. Plus $1600 for a truck payment seems steep when those trucks have a half a million miles on them already.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  5. Sharpp

Sharpp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Henderson, Nevada
  6. Trafficcontrolxl

Trafficcontrolxl Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    in my opinion leasing is can be a lucrative way to go. It really depends on what your goals are. For a person that wants to own a rig and their own business in trucking it can be used as a stepping stone for both the experience and potentially the ownership of a truck. However to be successful wether buying your truck outright or through a lease purchase there is a level of commitment needed that far exceeds being a company driver. It is a business and as such takes the extra dedication.

matski Thanks this.
  7. philbert4058

philbert4058 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Nice truck and trailer!

8. Trafficcontrolxl

Trafficcontrolxl Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Thank you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.