Is LTL the best area of trucking? What's the catch?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by John Joel Glanton, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Csdsm18

Csdsm18 Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2019
    I currently work for Estes doing P&D work. I get decent hours. Can't really complain about the job besides the equipment which is old and beat up. Very curious about retirement tho. I know we have a 401k but was curious to the union guys that have pension. Was wondering and trying to see examples of people that are close to retirement on what they are expecting if they are returning with 401k or pension or maybe both? Love to see what kind of money you'll need to match a pension of someone from like UPS getting $4000 month.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    That's what she said.

4. Bob Dobalina

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    The general rule of thumb is that you can safely withdraw 4% of whatever your 401k balance is at retirement in order to not outlast your money. So get on it. A million dollars will only get you $40,000/year safely and $40,000 a year won't buy much by that time depending on how far away that is for you.

5. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    How bad will job hopping keep me from getting hired into LTL?

6. im not real sure

im not real sure Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Right now companies need drivers. So I am sure some companies and terminals are willing to give you a chance. Would probably depend on experience, location, type of work you have done, record, etc.

7. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Bumping this with a quick update. Good news is I passed my road test and got all my endorsements. Bad news is all these LTL companies want one year experience.

The Old Dominion terminal is like a fortress with barbed wire fences and they wouldn't even let me in, just told me to apply online. R+L said they would train me on local line haul but that position has been filled. Bummer.

FedEx wants new guys to be a "driver apprentice" and work the docks. No thanks.

Sysco is hiring and the money is good but I don't want to go back to doing those delivery routes. Did that delivering beer and burnt me out.

So it looks like I will go OTR for Schneider unless something better pops up.

Rideandrepair and dwells40 Thank this.
  8. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Best of luck with Schneider!

I went to FedEx Freight with 11 months experience, still had to do the whole driver apprentice thing. I have no regrets about it.

9. Bob Dobalina

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    That's not such a bad plan. Even training companies pay pretty well these days and it's a good idea to get your mistakes out of the way so you can keep the better jobs you end up getting after you get some experience.

When I started driving, LTL companies officially wanted two years experience but they often wouldn't hire anyone with less than five. Even though many LTL companies have relaxed their requirements in the last several years, the bottom line is that they can still afford to be very selective.

I am of the opinion that everybody should start out in a sleeper and have a string of bad jobs for several years like I did so that once they do get an LTL job, they will know how good they have it. Some of these drivers who jump right in to top-tier jobs have no sense of gratitude whatsoever.

Good luck to you, man. Get some experience and don't give up applying for better jobs as you go. You'll get there in no time.

10. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    TFI is my last hope. There's a dozen or so jobs listed on their site that are close by me. Many say OTR with a 53ft van with HAZMAT. The jobs seem to be all over the place. Is there a terminal map I can look at? If they don't take me I'm off to Schneider orientation.

11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    ^^^THIS

Bob Dobalina and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.