Is LTL the best area of trucking? What's the catch?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by John Joel Glanton, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    They been having hiring events in Denver. They lost 8 drivers to Ups.

Rideandrepair and Gomer1969 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Yeah I heard about that. We've been having job fairs all summer long at my location.

Rideandrepair and Radman Thank this.
  4. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I can drive, back and have been applying like mad but can’t get hired because everyone wants experienced drivers. I’m beginning to doubt this industry really is “short of drivers”

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Gomer1969

Gomer1969 Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    You're definitely located somewhere different than where I'm at! The industry is definitely hurting for drivers. Where are you located?

6. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    I’ve read that Florida is a dead zone for trucking and some mega carriers won’t even hire drivers from down there. I thought that would change with the current driver shortage but apparently not. If it’s that bad just pack up and move to Dallas, Houston, maybe Nashville. Should have your pick of jobs out there.

7. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    Florida :( it’s not hurting here. Well maybe it is but they all have requirements. All the drivers that were lost everywhere else are probably here now.

8. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    It’s a pretty crappy place for the mega carriers but for local trucking we still have all the restaurants and still have all the businesses that need LTL pick up and delivery etc. where the third most populous state so FedEx UPS etc. there should be plenty of jobs down here because there’s 22 million people. And it seems like they are all advertised but they all want more experience.

9. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Apply as a dockworker at one of.the LTL companies then wait to get promoted to driver.

Minor step back, but at least you'll have a foot in the door

10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Florida is the worse. It’s an end of the line concept with hardly any manufacturers. Everything coming in nothing leaving. Everything getting consumed. Middle of the country generally stays busy cause we have local to deal with and thru stuff to move from east coast to west coast. Best bet is fuel or be on it when a LTL is hiring. Not impossible but harder then other parts of the country.

Rideandrepair and jmz Thank this.
  11. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    perhaps for p&d i suppose i can see it. linehaul - eh, i guess they can't be any worse than the amazon and fedex contractors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.