Is LTL the best area of trucking? What's the catch?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by John Joel Glanton, Oct 5, 2021.

1. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I have they’re not taking those either

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Aren't there a lot of ports down there? How about intermodel? Or maybe tanker for Indian River? They might have some local stuff check them out.

Or just man up and do the food service work. Getting paid to get in shape!

4. John Joel Glanton

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    I just got off the phone with them. They don't want me without a year experience. That's a dagger in the heart. The ad says one year experience OR a graduate from a state certified school. Still, the guy says a newb would need to train with another driver for 6 weeks and they're not doing that right now. Bummer.

I will try FedEx and if that doesn't work then I guess I'll start my career with Schneider doing OTR. I don't mind. Getting cold here so I hope they send me south or west for the winter.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Try A. Duie Pyle or R+L if FXF doesn’t pan out.... or have you?

6. John Joel Glanton

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Thanks. No not yet. This company came by our school recruiting. Encore Express. They haul for FedEx exclusively. Doubles. Line haul work. Sounds similar to Old Dominion. Truck Driving Jobs, CDL Jobs - 100% No-Touch Freight, 100% Paid Drop and Hook

I will look into the options you listed there. See who's close by me. Really at this point I'm tempted to go OTR. We shall see.

I read reports of new guys getting hired by Old Dominion but I guess every terminal is different. Oh well, they can keep those old ### day cabs!

Rideandrepair and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    I turned down OD early this year for P&D. Ultimately I didn't feel like playing the seniority game at a small terminal

8. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    same issues I’m running into in Florida. I’m telling you there’s only certain locations where they really need drivers everywhere else they don’t seem to want drivers without one year experience at least.

9. John Joel Glanton

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Or maybe they're so busy they don't have time to waste training a new guy for a month. Who knows. Where are you in Florida? I was thinking of moving down there.

Does anyone know of any other LTL carriers that hire new guys? I see R+L in my town but their ad also says one year. I am calling around right now so I'll update this later.

10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Not similar to OD, nor FX Freight. This sounds like a FX Ground company, which means you'll be a 'subcontractor.' Usually not a good thing.

Rideandrepair and Speedy356 Thank this.
  11. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    There's no LTL hiring new guys around anywhere i can get hired. I'm just above south east FL..So just above Palm Beach County. I can work out of Central FL, Orlando area as well. I did see some positions in Tampa, dock to driver type things a few months ago. If you have experience there are plenty of jobs available everywhere.

I'm not going back OTR under any circumstances unless I was desperate or homeless so I may not get anything until I move to a different state. I currently have other work so it's fine for now. FL isn't a bad place to be in normal times but unfortunately I see coming bad times ramping up and I want to be VERY RURAL low population density and in a climate that certain gang elements don't want to be in.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.