Is Making $800 a week as a NEWBIE possible?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cheeto9512, Sep 16, 2011.

1. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    You would be crazy to give up a firefighter job to drive a truck. You will be lucky to make $3200 before taxes. I doubt the benefits would be anything close to what you have now. What kind of schedule do you work now? One day on two days off? Trucking is like two weeks on one day off. If you need more money get a part time job. Some firefighters I know run a lawn care service on their time off. A few other guys do a hunting and fishing guide service. There is a reason it is really hard to get a firefighter job and really easy to get a truck driving job. I tried for several years to get a full time one. I ended up getting on the railroad which is better than driving truck but not as good as a firefighter.

lonewolf4ad Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.

Couldn't have said it better, Now my Brother inlaw is 3 yrs. away from 20yrs. service as a firefighter and hes going to take his pension and up grade his cdl B to a D and drive locally.

As far as working he only works 2 days a week, tues. and sat.
    He's got it made!! and he knows it!

4. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Bucks for once we agree completely. Anyone leaving a guaranteed paycheck that includes pension, health, and other benefits is a trucking idiot. I know people will tell you there is more to life than money, and that's true. However, you won't ve enjoying the life if your family isn't well taken care of, and they constantly blame you for the change in their status quo.

As much as I hated working for the state I would have continued to do so, if it hadn't been for a series of bad events events and bad timing.I was clearing over 2700/mo in an area where the median income was closer to 2500/mo. Now though I am leaving a bad job to go back to trucking, because the job market where I currently am sucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.