Is my Class A still valid?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Dennis Dale, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Dennis Dale

Dennis Dale Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2023
    I held my Class A CDL for 4 years.When I quit driving commercial, I checked with my local dmv in Arizona. I had the understanding that I needed to downgrade my license from class a to class d. Dingbat there tells me all I had to do was not go to my next dot physical and it would downgrade automatically.
    Never been suspended nor revoked. Keep in mind that an Arizona CDL doesn't expire for 8 years.
    Now, 18 months later, in Ohio, and I'm ready to get it again.
    I ask at the bmv here, since it's never been suspended, shouldn't I be able to upgrade as easily as I had downgraded? I got the dot med card.
    She says it's up to Arizona. The cdl schools (the 1s that I would have to pay) are telling me that I have no choice but to complete the 160 hours of school again.
    But when I spoke with a recruiter at Roehl, (Roehl pays the student for taking their courses), she agrees that by all means, it should be reinstated.
    Any idea where I should look into this? I still know the driver's license number . Highly curious. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    You still hold cdl a from az ?
    Go get med card and get ohio cdl

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You were given incorrect information. When your medical expires or you get a new, you get a specified period to self-declare your status. Otr drivers are non-excepted interstate. When you have no valid medical, you declare "excepted intrastate". You are not able to drive, but you keep your license a CDL. Failure to do this will cause your license to revert to a regular license. 18 months later, you don't have a CDL anymore. You will need to go to a school now to get it again. The days of doing it like I did are long gone.

tscottme and silverspur Thank this.
  5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    if it has been less than a year since the downgrade, all you have to do is get your med card -

Can I reinstate my CDL in Arizona?

If your CDL is disqualified, suspended or revoked for one year or more, it is considered expired (invalid). You will be required to take all written and skills tests for a new CDL and to pay all applicable licensing and reinstatement fees.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.