Is my company putting the wood to me?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Truckx, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truckx

Truckx Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2018
    So i'm new. I have been with this company for a little over 4 months.

I work in flatbed and run on a dedicated account for a major home improvement company.

I was offered the job straight out of training.

The company gave me a general idea of what i could expect to make based on "The averages
    of the other drivers on the account. More on this later...

So here's the setup up that I found out after the fact.

There is a 50 mile radius that one must live within to qualify to work out of this distribution center. They hired me knowing I lived 135 mile away. They have me bring the truck home every night and I pay for the parking spot out of my own pocket.

Well, as it turns out, this company pays from the distribution center to where the delivery is made and the milage to the next pickup, whether that be back to the DC or to a lumber plant we frequent for back loads to the DC,

So this is how my day goes. I drive 135 miles to the DC, pick up my load, deliver it to the store in question and then drive from that store home.

This is where the problem comes in. The miles I drive from my parking spot to the DC and the miles I drive home from my last delivery thy refuse to pay me mileage.

This mileage equates to better than 2500 miles per month that I am driving their equipment, on the clock, and responsible for their equipment.

What that means is that roughly 4 hours of every day is unpaid driving that eats my clock and minimizes my ability to maximize my income. As a result of this I'm making less money than I did as a b-class straight truck driver-It's pathetic.

My question is this, This company offered me a job knowing I lived far outside its normal hiring radius and then refuses to pay me for the miles I incur as a result of the decision they made. Obviously they never told me I would have to spend four hours a day driving(unpaid) in order to be paid for the other hours I drive that they deem worthy of payment. As a newb I had no idea this was even possible as the company flatly states "We pay all miles-loaded and empty."

I have the feeling that I have become a cautionary tale of how Newbs get raped, but I feel like this kind of situation is utter bull and I feel like this can't be legal.

I'm probably wrong and that's why I am asking here. maybe trucking is full of this crap, but we're not talking some "Flybynight" company. They have 1600 trucks and are making money hand over fist. I just can't understand why they would do some crap like this-It's just petty!

Mattflat362, All4Safety and TB John Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I’m really surprised that even let you burn up that many deadhead miles, you are literally throwing money away. Either move closer, ask them to reimburse a nearby hotel room.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Reason for edit: Spelling
  4. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Get 6 months in and then tell them to pay you or youre moving on.

Paddlewagon, Lonesome and Truckx Thank this.
  5. Truckx

Truckx Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2018

They do. I wondered the same, but they seem happy to do it.

6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    They needed a driver. You would not have hired on if they told you the 4 hours extra driving was not compensated. That's a heck of a commute!
    I would need a nap before I pin up:D

7. Truckx

Truckx Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2018

I'm in a day cab, Naps suck in those! LOL

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Padded board to put across seats, and a pillow. You should have these in cab, think about it next time you are stranded for hours on roadside

Lonesome, Dave_in_AZ and Truckx Thank this.
  9. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    But then again, they could make return to their yard every night, park the truck and get into your own vehicle to drive home.

10. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    That's a lousy deal, but from a running a business standpoint, I dont think you're being screwed.

Your perk is a free vehicle to commute to and from in. If they are totally screwed without you, I would hope they can find a few bucks to pay you for one way in?

11. Truckx

Truckx Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2018
    I think even they knew a newb wouldn't fall for that blatant of a screwing!ROFL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.