Is non cdl hotshot worth it?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Thetrashnoob, Sep 1, 2020.

1. WTFVegas

WTFVegas Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2020
    yes it is very profitable. you can go just as far as CDL guys do. there is a big market for it. there are plenty of loads under 16k lbs.
    thats literally the answer to you question. how many loads do you see that are under 16k lbs
    i use that number because truck and trailer need to be within certain ratings and limits and that is probably the highest load you could get non CDL. guys are making alot of money doing this just like ME. we are a newer company! im an experienced business man, the numbers are good so far and getting better all the time! very profitable!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Had a recall done to my 2019 truck a couple of weeks ago. It was a PCM update.
    Asked the tech why the pumps where blowing up he told me that flooring the gas pedal brought the fuel pump to PSI numbers it couldn't handle and would blow.
    They had to find the serial number on my fuel pump for the recall.
    He said the recall was to deal with this also even though the recall said:

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on about 34,000 of the above vehicles may have engine calibration software that does not provide adequate engine warm up protection. Inadequate warmup protection can cause a lack of oil film on the main rod bearings while the engine is reaching operating temperature, resulting in engine damage and potential connecting rod failure, which may puncture the engine block, and result in oil contacting a competent ignition source and a vehicle fire may occur. A vehicle fire may increase the risk of injury to occupants and persons outside of the vehicle, as well as property damage.

I often see trucks like mine flooring the gas pedal out of red lights, onramps and tough hills with a load a lot heavier than mine. I keep my truck under 2k rpm and let it run at whatever speed it can at that rpm. I watch my temps and oil pressure religiously. Just clocked 90k miles and no issues with the truck at all so far.

4. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I don't know about flatbed but car haulers are leaving money on the table running non cdl. The money is with the heavy and large vehicles. I can make more per mile taking 2 large units than 3 small ones. MPG is not much less running heavy. I stay under 35k lb gross and registered for 38k. Weigh stations never bother me and I get bypassed 95% of the time.

5. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    There is a driver that I've run along side at one particular place and I found out he went and got his CDL with the truck and trailer he has and had no issue with it. You can go and get your class A with ease but you just can't do the air brake test so you won't have that endorsement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.