Is now a good time to get into flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by fhs07senior, Nov 1, 2020.

1. fhs07senior

fhs07senior Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Hey guys, Ive been into trucking for a while now and looking to switch it up with some flat bedding. Currently hauling oil but its definitely not what it use to be. I recently got my own authority just trying to see hows it going for you guys out there. If its worth it what kind of trailer do you guys suggest to start with , ive been seeing alot of people say start with the 48x102. Based out of San Antonio , Tx if that helps out any.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scoutman57

scoutman57 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2020
    Get a step deck, it will open up more loads

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Nothing BUT flatbeds in Colorado these days,,

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Seems like the big heavy hitting money is dry van... Atleast from what I've gathered on this site.

singlescrewshaker, cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. fhs07senior

fhs07senior Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    A 48 or 53

cke Thanks this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    What are u looking to haul? You are gonna struggle from now until atleast march. This is not the time for flatbed.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Like what ? If u dont have a good amount of stepdeck specific freight then it is useless to go out and get one.

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you go with a step, best to go 53. It will need a slide axle due to KPRA regulations for some states.
    That said, right now is not a good time to start running open deck. Loads to trucks will be in favor of the shipper.

singlescrewshaker, cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. This actually could be a good time to get in. Every year, there is an exodus of guys leaving flatbeds up north before the winter as they know things are going to get really hard in terms of the physical work and freight volumes. You get through the winter and then smooth sailing.....but that first one you will remember for life. Good luck.

11. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I’d take the opposite view as walterk. I jumped from LTL to open deck in may of this year. I had some limited flat bedding experience from the service and previous employees but it was all curtainside or no tarp stuff. I’m glad going in to inclement weather that I had good weather to learn the art of tarping as opposed to trying to deal with it in winter. There is definitely a learning curve to it. Not saying to not do it but it is something to consider

cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.