Is now the time for a change? Should I go Over The Road?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flatbedder 1966, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Danny Herman Trucking and Milan Supply Chain Solutions; both dry van.
    They don't run Northeast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Milan Supply Chain Solutions: Click here for more info > Apply On Company Site
    HOME TIME:

• Home time you can count on – 1-2 days/week
      • Regional Midwest & Southeast Services only – no NY, NJ or West Coast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Danny Herman Trucking:
    No Northeast. Most freight lanes are below I-40.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Flatbedder 1966 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    The Ashley LTL division is what I would consider if possible. They are a good company, good pay and benefits, nice equipment, probably one of the most driver friendly companies to work for. No northeast either since they have a terminal in Penn I think that handles that area. You would run Ohio, Pa, W Va, Then all the southeast. Probably a 20 State area.

4. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Averitt is a pretty good company. The miles werent great when I was with them but that was several years ago. They had good benefits. I hear they now have Entertainment contracts? I had one of the best driver managers there than Ive ever had. He was a great person.

Milan used to be a pretty good company back in the 90s. Of course, I was leased to them. They did run some Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois back then but mostly, their company trucks stayed south of there. They had a lot of dedicated stuff back then. All of the company drivers I talked to seemed to enjoy driving for them.

5. Flatbedder 1966

Flatbedder 1966 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I applied to Ashley but it’s been 3 years since I pulled a tanker and my Class A bus experience doesn’t count towards their requirements. They want 1 year recent OTR to qualify.

6. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I’m seriously looking at Averitt. I like what I’ve heard about them. The ONLY negative is having to leave the truck at a terminal during home time. Other than that and I’d be there tomorrow. CalArk seems to be a good company from some people I’ve talked to. All depends on what I want I guess. Each person is different.

justa_driver Thanks this.
  7. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yea you had to park the truck at a terminal when I was with them but I kinda liked that. I had room to park it at home but I never really cared for bringing my truck home. A lot less issues if its at the terminal. A lot of their terminals have truck washes so you could wash your truck everytime you hit a terminal. They had some great folks working for them.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    You’re right. It has its advantages. I live about 15 miles from the terminal so not far to drive. Could also fuel out of there and wash before starting a trip. What kind of shape were their trucks in? If you don’t mind share your experience with them. I’d really appreciate it.

justa_driver Thanks this.
  9. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    I live in south Mississippi and you definitely want to cross national carriers off your list. A few people do good there and the rest don't. I worked there a few months. I don't have many bills but I couldn't hardly pay the few I had while working there.

10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    You’ll find dozens of companies willing to work with you. I’m regretting that I didn’t look at my company closer before buying a truck.

They offered a position based out of N MS I would have jumped all over. That doesn’t necessarily mean it was available when I decided to buy. It just means it’s there now.

11. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I've already taken them off my list. If I can't get the recruiter to return my calls in 3 days I can only imagine how hard it would be to get anything taken care of as a driver. Thanks for the heads up.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.