Is O/O A Good Idea Soon...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KaoMinerva, Sep 23, 2022.

1. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm also potentially looking at going to landstar to learn and get my feet wet. I don't plan to just jump out cold turkey.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    I run for them for 2 years. Good place to learn, they do grab 35% off the top if ya gunna pull a company van. Got nothin bad to say about them always treated me good and I learned a lot. You won’t be home every night if you wanna make any money

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I know. Still doesn’t answer my question. You can still run the old polluting trucks if you choose to, they’re simply looking at mandating the ELD for them. So how does the ELD make truck ownership more difficult? Assuming of course one is currently running legal with their old truck.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That's funny!

You are in the game with the big boys, I would stay where you are.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They don't have to do that, older mechanical trucks can still be adapted to ELD, but if they want to get rid of truck, the EPA can do it by simply saying all trucks need to meet 2010 standards throughout the country and that's it.

The other way is to have the states issue a directive not to allow registration of trucks build before say 2014, which takes a lot of them off the road. The feds have the power to hold back funds to get that done.

7. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    The way I was looking at it is just being able to save more and do other things. I make great money, I'm not complaining... But I'd like to make more.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

[​IMG]

:)

Sirscrapntruckalot - Thank you, thank you, I'll show myself out..
    [​IMG]

PapaJoe, Jed2009 and Dennixx Thank this.
  9. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Some older guys have a hard time using a flip phone and may struggle with the tablets… reason many retired a few years back. Ever try installing elog on a b model 3406? May be harder to install especially if one has a hard time with a flip phone. Owner know also has to audit elogs vs auditing paper logs. Even harder if feller struggles with flip phone. Just last week I helped a farmer call his forklift operator cause he couldn’t find him on his contact list. I found his guy on last called list. Having someone forcefully install and use an item on their own property may be difficult. How many older drivers were discriminated when elogs came out? Who knows? As long as the ATA got their way.

we had a 3406e cat on elogs and it would often crash. Had a hard time communicating with computer. I reckon it would be even more difficult on a b or a model.

10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

And what’s needed to wire up a Elog on an older truck? Just asking because in all honesty, I don’t even need a wire to the pump for my rig to move on down the road, if that’s where it hooks to….

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    It doesn’t, IMO it makes it easier. But im not tryin to run past my hours

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.