Is O/O A Good Idea Soon...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KaoMinerva, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Do whatever makes you happy.

But I think this sentiment makes all the sense in the world:

If you have a job that you make $100,000 without even working in the winter time I think most of us would probably just ask you why would you even want to get your own truck? As the other person said unless you hate where you're at, I myself don't get it.

I take it you've never been in the trucking business. How much do you think you're going to make with your own truck? Do you think you're going to make $200,000 or $300,000 per year? No, especially not with a faltering economy.

Depending on how the economy is you very well could make significantly less than you are earning now before winter... and that's working all year. And bear in mind for that to happen you're going to have to Shell out more money than you've ever spent in your life on anything. And you're going to spend more money than you think you're going to spend and it's going to keep going and going because that's the way this works. Read the stories of other people that have started that had plenty of money and their first response is I thought I had plenty of money it cost me a hell of a lot more than I thought.

The most intelligent thing someone like you could do is that you have a steady job that's going to take you through a bad economy and the bright thing would be to forget trucks and go buy yourself some real estate and get wealthy.

The time is coming that the people that have money are going to be able to buy things at reduced prices and make a lot of money off of them but not everybody is going to have the money. It's people like you that have good steady jobs that can take you through the bad times you could make out like a bandit.

But if you want to play with trucks you're going to invest everything you have to go into a sketchy economy with an unknown truck and the potential problems that you face are quite unknown. Not sure what the exact number is on failure rate but it's got to be somewhere around 90 or 95%.

Not saying it's all bad but it's a little different mentality than the oh yeah I make $100,000 I don't even work winter time man I got plenty of money... it's always coming in.

This business will teach you how to watch pennies because there are so many zeros flying out all over the place with people taking your money and fees and cost to you it will make your head spin. Have you ever worked all week and made zero money? Have you ever had several weeks or maybe a month or more that you worked but you didn't make any money? Or maybe you'd like to work but your truck is broken down so all you do is pay bills for 6 weeks. Get used to it if you're an owner operator because that does happen. And if your safety net is not gigantic enough and colossal enough it's over Johnny.

Many many many many many many people have gone broke going into the trucking business. Not saying that's necessarily going to be you, but it's a hell of a thing if that were to happen and you left a really good paying job that you could have made yourself wealthy without all the nonsense.

But like I said, do what makes you happy.

Good luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you for the sound advice and brutal expectations. I really appreciate it.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.