Is part time trucking a thing?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Silidons, May 23, 2021.

1. Silidons

Silidons Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    I'll check them out. Fontana is like Beverly Hills compared to where I work. Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Driver Leasing Service are temp agencis for drivers. You tell them when you can work, then they send you to the trucking company for that day. The ones in my area schedule you a week ahead of time.

Silidons and jason6541 Thank this.
  5. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Good idea forgot all about them

6. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I would hazard a guess that it’s your lack of experience that is the reason companies won’t hire you for part time positions.

2 of the three companies I worked for had what they called “casual drivers” who did a load or two a month.

However these were former full-time OTR guys who had years of experience.

I doubt they would consider a rookie for a part time position.

Also there is the training aspect. How would you become proficient training only a few days here and there?

I had to live in my trainers truck for a month and half during training.

7. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019

The thing is the OP got his class A, but never got further training if I’m reading his post right.

OP needs training or he is going to get in serious trouble out on the road and possibly hurt someone.

just getting a “CDL A” is insufficient to getting a job.

unfortunately getting training is going to be difficult while he still has the responsibilities of his full time job. I don’t have answers for that.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    All the LEOs I know work all the OT they want since the departments are short handed, and work off duty in uniform as security at ballgames , bank lobbys, malls, racetracks , concerts .

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    All the LEOs I know work all the OT they want since the departments are short handed, most I know are in Florida and work OT beach patrol every off day during the summer,
    work off duty in uniform as security at ballgames , bank lobbys, malls, racetracks , concerts , movie sets etc etc .

their department arranges the OT , sets the minimum hourly rate , and sends an officer.

that’s the easy money , make OT for standing around with a stern face.

10. Silidons

Silidons Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    Yeah that's more of a thing in the south/midwest/east coast. Most leo's here don't work a second job, and if they do, it's generally like real estate or something like that.

I just want to expand my skill set. I enjoy learning new things.

Oh I have done plenty of overtime. But it's pretty crappy when you're one of the two cops for a city of about 60,000. A week or so ago I was literally by myself for a few hours. I work in a high crime city as well. I'm not going to voluntarily sign up for overtime for a bit, I'm getting too stressed with it.

The more overtime, the more reports, more court subpoenas (which suck after working overnight for 12hrs btw). Lol

11. Silidons

Silidons Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    Yeah, that's not a thing here in California. There are no such thing as uniformed off-duty police officers as security. We have private security guard companies, and they pay minimum wage or maybe a buck or two more if you're armed. Most departments do not even allow a secondary job. Mine just allowed it maybe a year or two ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.