Is part time trucking a thing?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Silidons, May 23, 2021.

1. Silidons

Silidons Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    We do get contracts from time to time for large concerts. The rate my department charges per officer for such things is something to the effect of $75/hr.

Actually more than that... That's how much a top step officer would be making in overtime. I'm sure the department pockets money on top of that as well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Most of em in Florida if you’re working off duty security you have to arrange it through the dept , and the business that’s hiring pays the dept, not the officer.

Everyone in the SE works overtime and off duty since the department pay is so low.
    Florida highway patrol is bleeding officers because of of the county Sheriffs depts pay a lot more.
    Look up the difference in the starting salary of the Georgia state patrol verses CHP

4. Roadrunner94

Roadrunner94 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2021
    Fedex Express hires quite a few part time tractor trailer drivers but can't retain them due to guys wanting more hours.

Silidons Thanks this.
  5. fishlikeme

fishlikeme Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2020
    How about if I wanna do OTR for a couple or 3 months at a time and then take a couple or 3 months off? Was a commercial fisherman my first career and worked that kind of schedule. Is there a best way to do that in the trucking industry?

I have a little over 1 yr with a mega carrier OTR dry van lower 48 and have heard you can just quit and then come back? Is that so?

6. Silidons

Silidons Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    Schneider has those types of positions. I believe many do.

fishlikeme Thanks this.
  7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Ask your current company. Megas are a revolving door anyways. They are hiring drivers 24/7 365. If you are a reliable driver that is always on time and aren't a problem child, they may work with you on that.

fishlikeme Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    One of ours retired, but still works 2 or 3 days a month to supplement his Social Security.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We called our retirees back when we were swamped and they always came. Well, except for deer season, and duck season, and turkey season, and salmon season, and quail season and crab season.... but other than that they were always glad to work. :rolleyes:

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  10. kutscher

kutscher Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2011
    hesperia, ca
    I M NO9T sure that I can help You. 1 of my friends has a super good connection to trucking company in fontana.
    He asks me once a while for daily runs. Just in case You are stilll looking for a job on the site, I can ask him. It would need a while.
    All good

M.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.