Is Schneider a good company to start out at driving?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Jayr82, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jayr82

Jayr82 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    I am looking to get my CDL and trying to get as much info as possible to weigh my options.

A company not far from me has teamed up with Schneider to offer no cost upfront training. Another company that accepted me is Celadon. Most of the reviews for them are pretty bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    For a training company, they aren't bad at all. They actually really want their drivers to be safe and we'll trained, though being well trained still doesn't make you a good driver.

There are a Megaton of rules, and they do go overboard in my opinion, but they are a fine company to start with and alot of people stay with them for years

QuietStorm and AM14 Thank this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    you could do a lot worse, for sure.

for all its faults, they are pretty upfront about the ########. the rest that isnt can be found out here, no prob.

AM14 Thanks this.
  5. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I got started in trucking with Schneider back in 2001. I went to their training academy in Charlotte. Pretty good training in my opinion. I was very thankful that my TE had over 3 million miles and I learned a lot from him

6. CSDixon

CSDixon Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Denver CO
    Want to eventually lease or own a truck? They were my 1st choice but were not "currently" paying for CDL school in my area for OTR positions. One of the main benifits, to me (since starter companies are similar), was that their company drivers go to the front of the line that's waiting to join their IC Load Board; or at least they don't have to wait as long.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    yes.....I went with Schneider straight out of school (they reimbursed my tuition as well), and have been with them ever since.

Puppage Thanks this.
  8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Schneider was a great place to start. I enjoyed my time there.

9. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Of all the megas, they might be the "best". Know a few guys that did their 1st year there then bolted. Apparently it used to be better than it is now, going on what they've told me

10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Schneider had some good perks imo, and as @scythe08 mentioned they are actually very keen on teaching you to do things safely.
    You'll end up loving the trailer search option on your phone, lets you see what trls are available at the drop/hook location and if they are "out of service". Let's you skip over "bad trailers" without having to get out and pretrip them.
    Schneider kept me busy when I worked for them, and their benefit package was really strong.

Friday and AM14 Thank this.
  11. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    Schneider has bare-bone trucks with extreme idling restrictions and no APUs.

That said, the money is in accounts other than regular OTR/regional van. Not that you can do much worse on pay than Cel-a-con.

QuietStorm and MiRig2017 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.